Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|Arizona Supreme Court|
|Appointed by:||Gov. Jan Brewer|
|Past post:||Arizona Court of Appeals|
|Undergraduate:||University of Arizona, 1982|
|Law School:||Arizona State University, 1985|
Ann A. Scott Timmer is a justice on the Arizona Supreme Court. She was appointed to this position in 2012 by Governor Jan Brewer to fill the vacancy created when Justice Andrew Hurwitz was appointed to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. Timmer will face retention in 2014.
In 2005, Timmer was one of three judges recommended to then-governor Janet Napolitano by the Arizona Commission on Appellate Court Appointments to fill a vacancy on the Arizona Supreme Court. Napolitano selected Scott Bales from the choices offered to her, in a move that was regarded as shifting the balance on the court away from Republicans and toward Democrats.
Prior to her appointment to the Arizona Supreme Court, Timmer was the chief judge of the Arizona Court of Appeals, Division One. She was appointed in 2000 by former Governor Jane Dee Hull, who served as a Republican governor. Timmer was retained to the court in 2002 and 2008.
Timmer also previously worked for private law firms in Phoenix, Arizona. She focused on commercial and employment litigation, and tried capital murder cases both as a defense attorney and as a special prosecutor. In 2010, Timmer was appointed to be chair of a 17 member special judicial commission to investigate probate court practices.
- 71.74% voted in favor of retention.
- 28.26% voted against retention.
- 74.75% voted in favor of retention.
- 25.24% voted against retention.
- Arizona Court of Appeals website
- Arizona Commission on Judicial Performance Review Evaluation of Ann Timmer
- Arizona Judge's Review assessment of Timmer
- Office of the Governor, Press Release: Governor Jan Brewer announces appointment of Ann Scott Timmer to the Arizona Supreme Court, October 12, 2012
- Napolitano to tap 1 of 3 finalists for top Arizona court
- Timmer Biography
- McGuire on Media "Sometimes a newspaper’s ethics guidelines have to be flexible," May 19, 2010
- The Arizona Republic "Review of Probate Court ordered," March 26, 2010
- 2008 retention election results (go to p. 14)
- 2002 retention results, (go to p. 12)