Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|Texas District 51|
|Undergraduate:||University of Texas at Austin|
|Law School:||Southern Methodist University|
|Candidate for:||Texas Court of Criminal Appeals|
|Election information 2014:|
| Walther ran for election to the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals.
Primary: She was defeated in the Republican primary on March 4, 2014, receiving 39.6% of the vote. She competed against Bert Richardson.
Below are the results of the 2014 judicial poll, conducted by the State Bar of Texas, which asked attorneys to cast a vote in favor of their preferred candidate in each appellate race.
|Place 3 Judge|
|Mark W. Bennett||2083|
Walther has been endorsed by the following organizations, as listed on her campaign website:
- See also: Texas judicial elections, 2012
Walther received an associate's degree from Stephens College. She received her undergraduate degree from the University of Texas at Austin and her J.D. from Southern Methodist University, Dedman School of Law.
Walther began her career as a private practice attorney in Dallas, Texas. She worked in this position until 1983, when she moved her practice to San Angelo. In 1987, she was appointed a Title IV-D Family Law Master for the 7th Judicial Administrative Judicial Region. She was then elected judge of the 51st District Court in 1992.
Awards and associations
- 2008: Outstanding Jurist Award, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers Texas Chapter
- 2007: Presidential Citation from State Bar President Martha Dickie
- 2004: San Angelo Angel, San Angelo Schools Foundation
- 1997: Named one of 85 Texas Women of Distinction, Girl Scout Councils of Texas
- Texas Bar Foundation
- State Bar of Texas
- Texas Center for the Judiciary
- Member, Court of Criminal Appeals Education Committee
- Faculty member, Texas Center and Judicial Section education programs
- Community Advisory Board, Laura W. Bush Institute for Women's Health
FLDS and Warren Jeffs child custody case
- Barbara Walther campaign website
- Official website of Tom Green County, Texas
- Barbara Walther for Court of Criminal Appeals website
- 51st District
- Texas Secretary of State: 2012 General Election Summary Select "2012 General Election"
- Texas Secretary of State, 2014 March Primary Election Candidate Filings by County
- Texas Secretary of State: 2014 Republican Party Primary Election, Unofficial Results
- State Bar of Texas: 2014 Judicial Poll results
- Barbara Walther campaign website, archived February 25, 2014
- Barbara Walther campaign website: Biography, archived on February 24, 2014
- Martindale.com Profile
- Deseret News, "Calls from 'Sarah' kept on coming," April 24, 2008
- Reuters, "Texas jury sentences polygamist leader to life," August 9, 2011
- The Dallas Morning News, "Scott Henson: Where's the evidence of abuse?" April 23, 2008]
- The Monitor, "7 candidates vie for chance to reshape Texas Criminal Court," February 11, 2014