|Current Court Information:|
|Kentucky Supreme Court|
|Title: || Associate justice|
|Position: || 1st District seat|
|Active: || 2006-2014|
|Past position: || Judge, 56th Judicial Circuit Court|
|Past term: || 1991-2007|
|Past position 2: || Trial commissioner, Lyon County District Court|
|Past term 2: || 1989-1991|
|Undergraduate: || Murray State University, 1962|
|Law School: || University of Kentucky College of Law, 1969|
|Candidate for: ||Kentucky Supreme Court|
|Position: ||1st District|
|Election information 2014:|
|Primary date: ||5/20/2014|
|Election date: ||11/4/2014|
Bill Cunningham is an associate justice of the Kentucky Supreme Court. He was elected to the court in November 2006 to the 1st Supreme Court District seat. His current term expires in 2014. Cunningham is running for re-election to the Kentucky Supreme Court in 2014.
- For in-depth coverage of the state's high court races, see: Kentucky Supreme Court elections, 2014
- See also: Kentucky judicial elections, 2014
| Cunningham is running for re-election to the Kentucky Supreme Court.
General: He will run in the general election on November 4, 2014.
Cunningham received his undergraduate degree from Murray State University in 1962 and his J.D. from the University of Kentucky College of Law in 1969.
- 2007-2014: Associate justice, Kentucky Supreme Court
- 1991-2007: Judge, 56th Judicial Circuit
- 1989-1991: Trial commissioner, Lyon County District Court
- 1981-1985: Hearing officer, Kentucky Board of Claims
- 1976-1988: Attorney, 56th Judicial Circuit
- 1974-1991: Attorney, City of Eddyville
- 1974-1976: Public defender, Kentucky State Penitentiary
- See also: Political outlook of State Supreme Court Justices
In October 2012, political science professors Adam Bonica and Michael Woodruff of Stanford University attempted to determine the partisan ideology of state supreme court justices in their paper, State Supreme Court Ideology and 'New Style' Judicial Campaigns. A score above 0 indicated a more conservative leaning ideology while scores below 0 are more liberal. Cunningham received a Campaign finance score (CFscore) of 0.22, indicating a conservative ideological leaning. This is more conservative than the average CF score of 0.17 that justices received in Kentucky. The study is based on data from campaign contributions by judges themselves, the partisan leaning of contributors to the judges or, in the absence of elections, the ideology of the appointing body (governor or legislature). This study is not a definitive label of a justice, but an academic gauge of various factors.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Kentucky Supreme Court, "Justice Bill Cunningham," accessed August 7, 2014
- ↑ American Judicature Society, "Kentucky judges"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Kentucky Secretary of State, "Election: 2014 Primary Election: Justice of the Supreme Court," accessed January 29, 2014
- ↑ Project Vote Smart, "Justice Bill Cunningham (KY)"
- ↑ Stanford University, "State Supreme Court Ideology and 'New Style' Judicial Campaigns," October 31, 2012