|Current Court Information:|
|Indiana Supreme Court|
|Appointed by:||Gov. Robert Orr|
|Past post:||Attorney, private practice|
|Undergraduate:||Purdue University, 1964|
|Law School:||Indiana University School of Law at Indianapolis, 1968|
Brent E. Dickson is a justice on the Indiana Supreme Court. He was appointed the 100th justice and took office on January 6, 1986. He was retained by the state's voters in retention elections in 1988, 1998 and 2008. His current ten-year term expires in 2018, but he will have to leave the bench on July 18, 2016 when he reaches the age of mandatory retirement. Dickson served as acting Chief Justice on the court following the retirement of Randall Shepard; on May 15, 2012 the Indiana Judicial Nominating Commission named Dickson the permanent new chief justice. Dickson was the first new chief justice in twenty-five years. In June 2014, he announced that he would step down from the role as chief justice, though he would remain on the court.
Awards and associations
- Co-founder, Sagamore Chapter of the American Inns of Court
- Member, American Law Institute
Dickson was retained to the court with 72.8% of the vote.
In October 2012, political science professors Adam Bonica and Michael Woodruff of Stanford University attempted to determine the partisan ideology of state supreme court justices in their paper, State Supreme Court Ideology and 'New Style' Judicial Campaigns. A score above 0 indicated a more conservative leaning ideology while scores below 0 are more liberal. Dickson received a Campaign finance score (CFscore) of 1.11, indicating a conservative ideological leaning. This is more conservative than the average CF score of 0.01 that justices received in Indiana. The study is based on data from campaign contributions by judges themselves, the partisan leaning of contributors to the judges or, in the absence of elections, the ideology of the appointing body (governor or legislature). This study is not a definitive label of a justice, but an academic gauge of various factors.
- Indiana Court Times, "Brent E. Dickson Takes Oath of Office as Chief Justice of Indiana," September 17, 2012
- Indiana Court, Justice Brent E. Dickson
- Project Vote Smart, Justice Brent E. Dickson
- Includes a $5.5k "subsistence" fee
- Indiana Courts, Justice Brent E. Dickson
- American Judicature Society: Methods of Judicial Selection
- Lafayette Journal Courier, "Acting Indiana chief justice picked to head court," May 15, 2012
- NWI Times, "Indiana chief justice stepping down, will remain on Supreme Court," June 11, 2014
- Indiana Secretary of State, 2008 General Election Results
- Stanford University, "State Supreme Court Ideology and 'New Style' Judicial Campaigns," October 31, 2012
|Former||Randall Shepard • Theodore Boehm • Frank Sullivan, Jr. • William Allen Woods • Francis Elisha Baker • Walter Treanor • Hardress Swaim •|