Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|United States District Court for the District of South Carolina|
|Appointed by:||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by:||Margaret Seymour|
|Hometown:||Charleston, South Carolina|
|Undergraduate:||College of Charleston, 1983|
|Law School:||University of South Carolina Law, 1990|
Bruce H. Hendricks is a federal judge with the United States District Court for the District of South Carolina. In June of 2013, President Obama nominated Hendricks for a seat on the United States District Court for the District of South Carolina. The United States Senate confirmed Hendricks on June 4, 2014, on a vote of 95-0.
Early life and education
Hendriks earned her B.S. in 1983 from the College of Charleston and her J.D. in 1990 from the University of South Carolina School of Law.
- 2002-2014: Magistrate judge, District of South Carolina
- 1991-2002: Assistant United States Attorney, District of South Carolina
District of South Carolina
|Court:||District of South Carolina|
|Progress:||Confirmed 343 days after nomination.|
|Nominated:||June 26, 2013|
|ABA Rating:||Unanimously Well Qualified|
|Hearing:||February 11, 2014|
|Reported:||March 6, 2014|
|Confirmed:||June 4, 2014|
On June 26, 2013, President Obama nominated Hendricks to the United States District Court for the District of South Carolina to fill the vacancy left by Margaret Seymour. Obama commented on the nomination, stating, "These individuals have demonstrated the talent, expertise, and fair-mindedness Americans expect and deserve from their judicial system. I am grateful for their willingness to serve and confident that they will apply the law with the utmost impartiality and integrity."
Hendricks' nomination was returned by the Senate on January 3, 2014, and she was renominated on January 6th by President Obama. The Senate Judiciary Committee held a hearing for Hendricks on February 11, 2014. She was reported to the full Senate on March 6, 2014, by a vote of 16-2. The United States Senate confirmed Hendricks to the United States District Court for the District of South Carolina on June 4, 2014, on a vote of 95-0.
- "Presidential Nominations Sent to the Senate" 6/26/2013
- United States Senate, "On the Nomination (Confirmation Bruce Howe Hendricks to be U.S. District Judge for the District of South Carolina)," accessed June 4, 2014
- The Third Branch, "Judicial Milestones," July of 2002
- "President Obama Announces Intent to Nominate Three to Serve on the United States District Court" 6/20/2013
- Senate Judiciary Committee, "113th Congress Nomination Materials," accessed June 4, 2014
- White House, "Presidential Nominations Sent to the Senate," January 7, 2014
- Senate Judiciary Committee, "Results of Executive Business Meeting - March 6, 2014," accessed June 2, 2014
|Federal judicial offices|
|District of South Carolina
|Vacancy Count by Congress|
|Vacancy Count by Year||Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2009 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2010 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2011 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2012|