Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|Colorado Seventeenth Judicial District|
|Past position:||Attorney in private practice|
|Undergraduate:||Metropolitan State College of Denver, 1974|
|Law School:||University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, 1977|
|Candidate for:||Seventeenth Judicial District|
|Election information 2012:|
|Retention vote %:||69.96%|
Prior to joining the court, Melonakis was in private practice for over twenty years.
- See also: Colorado judicial elections, 2012
Judicial performance evaluation
The Seventeenth Judicial District Commission on Judicial Performance announced its recommendations for judges up for retention in 2012. According to its website, the commission evaluates judges based on the following criteria: integrity, legal knowledge, communication skills, judicial temperament, and administrative performance.
Criticism of process
There are critics of the state's method for evaluating judges. The most common complaint is that the evaluations are simply "rubber stamps" for judges standing for retention. To learn more about this viewpoint, read: The Denver Post, "Evaluating the performance of justices," February 15, 2010.
Judge Melonakis was recommended for retention by an unanimous vote. 
- Colorado Judicial Branch, "Chris Melonakis - 17th Judicial District Judge," accessed November 3, 2014
- Colorado Judicial Branch, "17th Judicial District announces District Court vacancy," September 11, 2014
- Colorado Office of Judicial Performance Evaluation, "Chris Melonakis"
- Colorado Secretary of State, "2012 Official General Election Results"