Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|Kentucky Circuit Court 34|
|Title:||Chief circuit judge|
|Past position:||Attorney in private practice|
|Undergraduate:||University of Kentucky|
|Law School:||University of Mississippi|
|Military service:||U.S. Marine Corps|
|Candidate for:||Kentucky Circuit Court 34|
|Election information 2014:|
Daniel Ballou is the chief circuit judge for the 34th Judicial Circuit in Kentucky. He was elected to the court on November 7, 2006. Ballou is running for re-election to the 34th Judicial Circuit in 2014.
- See also: Kentucky judicial elections, 2014
Before he became a judge, Ballou worked as an attorney in private practice, served as a clerk for Judge Eugene Siler of the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, and served as a major in the U.S. Marine Corps.
In January 2011, Ballou was charged with two counts of ethics violations by the Judicial Conduct Commission in Kentucky. He was charged after contributing to a political campaign and sending an e-mail about other candidate's position on the 2nd Amendment. These acts are prohibited under the judicial canon stating that a judge "shall refrain from inappropriate political activity." Ballou denies the allegations, but on the grounds that he has right to express his opinion under the 1st Amendment. He was publicly reprimanded for the email about Rand Paul that he sent to his fellow judges.
- Circuit Judge Daniel Ballou faces misconduct charges
- Courts in Kentucky
- Kentucky Circuit Courts
- Judicial selection in Kentucky
- Kentucky Court of Justice: Kentucky Circuit Court Judges
- Kentucky State Board of Elections, "Report of 'Official' Election Night Tally Results," December 1, 2006
- Kentucky Secretary of State, "Election: 2014 Primary Election: Circuit Judge," accessed January 29, 2014
- Martindale.com, Judge Profile: Daniel Lewis Ballou
- KY Judges 2006, Dan Ballou: Candidate for District Judge, 34th Division, 2nd District
- Gavel Grab, "KY Judge Faces Ethics Counts," January 31, 2011
- Lexington Herald Leader, "Southern Kentucky judge faces misconduct charges," January 29, 2011
- The Miami Herald, "For touting Rand Paul's Senate campaign, Kentucky judge is reprimanded," September 20, 2011