|Current Court Information:|
|Undergraduate:||University of Houston, 1993|
|Law School:||University of Texas School of Law, 1997|
|Candidate for:||Texas Court of Criminal Appeals|
|Election information 2014:|
- See also: Texas judicial elections, 2014
| Newell ran for election to the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals.
Primary: He was successful in the Republican primary on March 4, 2014, receiving 52.3% of the vote. He competed against William Kirkendall.
General: He defeated George Joseph Altgelt (Green Party) and William Bryan Strange (Libertarian) in the general election on November 4, 2014, receiving 78.3% of the vote.
Below are the results of the 2014 judicial poll, conducted by the State Bar of Texas, which asked attorneys to cast a vote in favor of their preferred candidate in each appellate race.
|Place 9 Judge|
|George Joseph Altgelt||1346|
|William Bryan Strange||1596|
- Libertarian Party of Texas, 2014 Statewide Offices
- Texas Secretary of State, "Republican Party Primary Election, Unofficial Results," 2014
- Texas Secretary of State, "Race Summary Report 2014 General Election 11/4/2014," accessed December 19, 2014 Select "2014 General Election" then "Statewide Race Summary"
- State Bar of Texas "Judicial Poll results," 2014
- Vote David Newell, "Endorsements," archived August 20, 2014
- Vote David Newell, "Career," archived August 20, 2014