Superior Court of Delaware
|Superior Court of Delaware|
|Method:||Commission-selection, Governor appointment, legislative confirmation|
There are three Superior Courts in Delaware:
- Kent County Superior Court, Delaware
- New Castle County Superior Court, Delaware
- Sussex County Superior Court, Delaware
The Superior Court has original jurisdiction over criminal and civil cases. Exceptions are equity cases, over which the Delaware Court of Chancery has jurisdiction, and domestic relations cases, which fall under the authority of the Delaware Family Court.
The Superior Court has exclusive jurisdiction over felonies and drug offenses.
It has jurisdiction over:
- involuntary commitments of those with mental conditions
- personal injury cases
- libel and slander claims
- contract claims
- medical and legal malpractice
- property cases (mortgage foreclosures)
- mechanics liens
- appeals related to landlord-tenant disputes
- appeals from the Automobile Arbitration Board
- Delaware State Courts, Superior Court: About Us"
- Delaware State Courts, "Overview of the Delaware Court System"