Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|6th Circuit Court, Michigan|
|Appointed by:||Gov. John Engler|
|Past post:||Assistant U.S. Attorney|
|Undergraduate:||Wayne State University|
|Law School:||University of Detroit Mercy - School of Law|
|Grad. School:||Wayne State University|
|Candidate for:||6th Circuit Court|
|Election information 2012:|
Denise Langford-Morris is a judge for the 6th Circuit Court in Oakland County, Michigan. She was appointed to this position by former Governor John Engler in August of 1992. She was elected to a full term in 1994 and was re-elected in 2000 and 2006. Her current 6 year term ends on January 1, 2019.
After receiving an A.A. degree from Highland Park Community College, Langford-Morris attended Wayne State University, where she received a B.A. degree in Liberal Arts (1975) and an M.A. degree in Guidance and Counseling (1978). She then worked for the Michigan Department of Social Services as a protective services worker for a few years while attending law school. She earned her J.D. degree from the University of Detroit Mercy - School of Law in 1982.
Langford Morris began her career in 1984 working in the Oakland County Prosecutor's Office. She later worked for two years as a private practice lawyer before becoming an Assistant U.S. Attorney's Office in Detroit (Eastern District of Michigan). She held that position until her judicial appointment in 1992.
- See also: Michigan judicial elections, 2012
Bar association ratings
Women Lawyers Association of Michigan
The WLAM rated candidates running for judicial office with one of four ratings: Outstanding, Well Qualified, Qualified or No Rating.
Langford-Morris was rated as Outstanding.
Wolverine Bar Association
- The Detroit Free Press. To read the endorsement: Detroit Free Press, "Endorsements: Judge position in Wayne, Oakland counties," October 7, 2012.
Incumbents decry interest group advertisement
In October, the five incumbents running for re-election to the 6th Circuit Court united to condemn an attack ad aimed at Judge McMillen, which was run by the Virginia-based group Americans for Job Security. In a meeting, Judge Warren said,
|“||We felt that it was very important that to maintain the integrity and independence of the judiciary that we unite together and stand against attempts to subvert our independence and integrity of the court, and try to politicize what should be a nonpartisan, non-political position.||”|
In a statement on his website, challenger William Rollstin says,
|“||Just as challengers to incumbents express their displeasure with the status quo, so too can citizens affect the process...It’s ironic that a slate of candidates, unified by incumbency and not by ideological or philosophical bonds, would whine about following the law as determined by judicial precedent passed by the highest court in the land [Citizen's United v. Federal Election Commission].||”|
2010 Supreme Court election
- Main article: Michigan judicial elections, 2010
Langord Morris's campaign website described her as, "the candidate whose entire career has been on the front lines balancing Michigan justice as a judge, an attorney, an investigator. Always face to face up close and personal."
- Michigan Trial Courts Directory: Oakland County
- Oakland County Bar Association, 2012 Judicial Candidate Questionnaire: Denise Langford-Morris
- Legal News.com, "Circuit judge hopes to blaze another trail in legal circles," June 10, 2010
- Universit of Detroit Mercy, "News Release: UDM names three new Board of Trustee members," January 9, 2010
- Michigan 2000 Election Results: 6th Circuit
- Michigan 2006 Election Results: Oakland County
- Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association: Judicial questionnaire and resume of Hon. Denise Langford Morris
- Oakland County: Hon. Denise Langford Morris
- Michigan Department of State, Unofficial 2012 General Election Results: 6th Circuit Court
- Michigan Department of State, 2012 Unofficial Michigan Primary Candidate Listing
- Women Lawyers Association of Michigan, Press Release: "WLAM Endorses, Rates Judicial Candidates"
- Wolverine Bar Association, 2012 WBA Judicial Qualifications Results
- The Oakland Press, "Oakland County judges object to outside money in their re-election campaign," October 7, 2012
- Rollstin for Judge, Statement on Outside Spending
- Michigan 2010 Unofficial General Election Results: Supreme Court
- Campaign website of Judge Langford-Morris