Denise S. Hartsfield
|Denise S. Hartsfield|
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|North Carolina 21st Judicial District|
|Title:||District Court Judge|
|Past position:||Assistant County Attorney, Forsyth County Department of Social Services|
|Past position 2:||Staff Attorney, Legal Aid Society of Northwest North Carolina|
|Law School:||Wake Forest University|
Denise S. Hartsfield is a district court judge for the 21st Judicial District, serving Forsyth County of North Carolina. She was first elected to the court in 2002 and was most recently re-elected in 2010. Her current term expires in 2014.
Before her election to the court in 2002, Hartsfield served as an assistant county attorney for the Forsyth County Department of Social Services, Child Support Enforcement Division. She has also served as a judicial clerk to the Honorable Richard Erwin of the United States District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina and as a staff attorney for the Legal Aid Society of Northwest North Carolina.
Judicial Standards Commission charges
In March 2011, Hartsfield was charged with dismissing traffic cases without following the proper procedure. The North Carolina Judicial Standards Commission also alleged that the judge had ruled on the cases of friends and acquaintances, offering favorable judgments. 
As a consequence for the behavior, the commission recommended that Hartsfield be suspended, though it did not suggest what length of time the suspension should last. The judge's attorneys contend that she should be suspended for less than two months. 
To read the full decision by the court, see: FindLaw.com, "IN RE: Inquiry Concerning a Judge, No. 08–174 Denise S. HARTSFIELD, Respondent," March 9, 2012.
- See also: North Carolina judicial elections, 2010
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Winston-Salem Chronicle.com, "Hartsfield will keynote New Bethel program", February 14, 2008
- ↑ Martindale.com, Judge Profile: Denise S. Hartsfield
- ↑ Denise Hartsfield for District Court Judge, Campaign Page
- ↑ North Carolina Administrative Office of the Courts, Statement of Charges against Denise S. Hartsfield
- ↑ The Rocky Mount Telegram, "Judges says she deserves two month suspension," November 25, 2011
- ↑ FindLaw.com, "IN RE: Inquiry Concerning a Judge, No. 08–174 Denise S. HARTSFIELD, Respondent," March 9, 2012
- ↑ North Carolina Secretary of State, Unofficial General Election Results