Edgar L. Barnes
|Edgar L. Barnes|
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|North Carolina 1st Judicial District|
|Title:||District court judge|
|Past position:||Attorney in private practice|
|Undergraduate:||University of North Carolina at Wilmington|
|Law School:||North Carolina Central University|
|Candidate for:||1st Judicial District|
|Election information 2012:|
|Election date:||November 6, 2012|
Edgar L. Barnes is a district court judge for the 1st Judicial District, which presides over Camden, Chowan, Currituck, Dare, Gates, Pasquotank, and Perquimans counties of North Carolina. He was appointed to the court in 1993, but did not take office until June of 1995 due to a challenge by the U.S. Justice Department regarding the new judgeship. Barnes was re-elected in 2008 and 2012. His current term expires in 2016.
Barnes received his undergraduate degree from the University of North Carolina at Wilmington and his J.D. degree from North Carolina Central University. He was admitted to the North Carolina Bar in 1986.
Barnes worked as an attorney in Manteo, North Carolina prior to his judicial appointment.
- See also: North Carolina judicial elections, 2012
Judicial candidate survey
The North Carolina Bar Association asked its members to rank incumbent judges with terms ending in 2012 on a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being "excellent". Below are Barnes's ratings in five categories and overall:
- North Carolina judicial elections, 2012
- North Carolina District Courts
- Judicial selection in North Carolina
- The North Carolina Court System, "Camden County - District 1"
- The North Carolina Court System, "Chowan County - District 1"
- The North Carolina Court System, "Currituck County - District 1"
- The North Carolina Court System, "Dare County - District 1"
- The North Carolina Court System, "Gates County - District 1"
- The North Carolina Court System, "Pasquotank County - District 1"
- The North Carolina Court System, "Perquimans County - District 1"
- HighBeam Research: The Virginian-Pilot, "Judge Barnes Wins Full Term On Bench In District Court," May 9, 1996
- North Carolina State Board of Elections, Lists of Judges and Term Expiration Dates
- Martindale: Judge Profile: Edgar L. Barnes
- North Carolina State Board of Elections: Official 2012 General Election Results
- North Carolina State Board of Elections, "Candidate Filing List," 2012 Scroll to p.45
- NC Bar Association: Judicial Performance Evaluation Survey, January 2012 Scroll to p.7