Eleanor L. Ross is a judge on the DeKalb County State Court in Georgia. She was appointed by Governor Nathan Deal on April 8, 2011, and took her oath of office on April 29, 2011. She filled the seat vacated by Barbara Jean Mobley in February of 2011. Ross will serve out the remainder of Mobley's term, which expires in 2014.
On December 19, 2013, Ross was nominated by President Barack Obama to fill a vacancy on the United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia.
Federal judicial nomination
Northern District of Georgia
| ||Candidate:||Eleanor L. Ross|
| ||Court:||Northern District of Georgia|
| ||Progress:|| 278 days since nomination.|
|Nominated:||December 19, 2013|
|ABA Rating:||Majority Qualified, Minority Not Qualified|
|Hearing:||May 13, 2014|
|Reported:||June 19, 2014 |
Eleanor L. Ross was nominated by President Barack Obama to fill a vacancy on the United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia on December 19, 2013. The vacancy was created when Charles Pannell took senior status. On the nominations:
|| I am honored to put forward these highly qualified candidates for the federal bench... They will be distinguished public servants and valuable additions to the United States District Courts.
—President Barack Obama
The American Bar Association rated Ross Majority Qualified, Minority Not Qualified.
Ross's nomination was returned by the Senate on January 3, 2014, and she was renominated on January 6th by President Obama.
The Senate Judiciary Committee held a hearing on Ross' nomination on May 13, 2014. The committee reported Ross to the full Senate on June 19, 2014, on a voice vote.
Ross received her B.A. from American University in 1989 and her J.D. from the University of Houston in 1994.
Awards and associations
- 2011: Georgia's Most Powerful and Influential Attorney Award by Women Looking Ahead Magazine
- 2010: Fulton County Assistant District Attorney of the Year
- 2000: Fulton County District Attorney Homicide Attorney of the Year
- 2000: Fulton County Voice for Victims Award
- 2011-Present: DeKalb Lawyers Association
- 1997-Present: DeKalb Bar Association
- 1997-Present: State Bar of Georgia
- 1995-1997: State Bar of Texas
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Cross Roads News, "Veteran prosecutors joining DeKalb State Court Bench," April 15, 2011
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 The White House, "President Obama Nominates Eight to Serve on the United States District Courts," December 19, 2013
- ↑ Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- ↑ American Bar, "RATINGS OF ARTICLE III JUDICIAL NOMINEES 113TH CONGRESS," accessed December 26, 2013
- ↑ The White House, "Presidential Nominations Sent to the Senate," January 7, 2014
- ↑ Senate Judiciary Committee, "Judicial Nomination," May 13, 2014
- ↑ Senate Judiciary Committee, "Results of Executive Business Meeting - June 19 2014," June 19, 2014
- ↑ Office of the Georgia Governor, Press Release: "Deal fills two DeKalb State Court judgeships," April 8, 2011
- ↑ martindale.com, "Judge Profile: Eleanor L. Ross," accessed September 17, 2013
- ↑ Senate Judiciary Committee, "QUESTIONNAIRE FOR JUDICIAL NOMINEES," accesse January 14, 2014