Elizabeth Erny Foote
|Elizabeth Erny Foote|
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|United States District Court for the Western District of Louisiana|
|Appointed by:||Barack Obama|
|Active:||06/15/2010 - Present|
|Preceded by:||Tucker Melancon|
|Home State:||Lafayette, LA|
|Undergraduate:||Louisiana State U., 1974|
|Law School:||Louisiana State U. Law, 1978|
|Grad. School:||Duke U., M.A., 1975|
Elizabeth Erny Foote is a federal judge for the United States District Court for the Western District of Louisiana. She was nominated by President Barack Obama on February 4, 2010 and confirmed by the U.S. Senate on June 15, 2010.
Early life and education
Foote earned her B.A. from Louisiana State University in 1974 and her M.A. from Duke University in 1975. She graduated with her J.D. from Louisiana State University Paul M. Hebert Law Center in 1978.
Foote was in private practice with The Smith Foote Law Firm, LLP in Alexandria, Louisiana from 1979 until her confirmation to the court.
Western District of Louisiana
|Candidate:||Elizabeth Erny Foote|
|Court:||Western District of Louisiana|
|Progress:||Confirmed 131 days after nomination.|
|Nominated:||February 4, 2010|
|ABA Rating:||Substantial Majority Qualified, Minority Well Qualified|
|Hearing:||February 24, 2010|
|Reported:||March 18, 2010|
|Confirmed:||June 15, 2010|
|Vote: Voice vote|
On February 4, 2010 President Barack Obama nominated Foote to a seat on the United States District Court for the Western District of Louisiana. She is nominated to fill the seat vacated by Tucker Melancon.
Foote was recommended to the President for nomination by Senator Mary Landrieu on July 31, 2009.
Judiciary Committee hearing
Foote had a hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee on February 24, 2010.
Awards and associations
- Past president of the Louisiana State Bar Association
- Past president of the Louisiana Civil Justice Center
- Co-chair of the Bar's Disaster Relief Committee, 2005
- Judiciary Senate Committee, "Judicial Nomination Materials: 111th Congress," accessed December 12, 2013
- Judge Elizabeth Foote's Biography] from Federal Judicial Center.
- White House Press Release "President Obama Nominates Four to Serve on the United States District Court Bench," February 4, 2010
- Independent Weekly "President nominates Lafayette native for federal judgeship," February 4, 2010
- Shreveport Times "How the federal appointment process works," February 26, 2010
- Judicial Nomination Materials
- Inside Louisiana News, "Senate Confirms Louisiana Judicial Nominees Jackson, Foote," June 16, 2010
|Federal judicial offices|
|Western District of Louisiana
|Vacancy Count by Congress|
|Vacancy Count by Year||Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2009 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2010 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2011 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2012|