Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|Maine Supreme Judicial Court|
|Appointed by:||Gov. John Baldacci|
|Past post:||Justice, Maine Superior Courts|
|Past post 2:||Judge, Maine District Courts|
|Past term 2:||1989-2000|
|Undergraduate:||Trinity College, 1977|
|Law School:||Cornell Law School, 1982|
Ellen A. Gorman is a justice on the Maine Supreme Judicial Court. She was appointed to the state's highest court on October 1, 2007, by former Governor John Baldacci. Her current term expires in 2014.
- 2007-2014: Justice, Maine Supreme Judicial Court
- 2000-2007: Justice, Maine Superior Courts
- 1989-2000: Judge, Maine District Courts
- 1986-1989: Attorney, Workers' Compensation Commission
- 1982-1986: Associate, Richardson, Tyler & Troubh 
In October 2012, political science professors Adam Bonica and Michael Woodruff of Stanford University attempted to determine the partisan ideology of state supreme court justices in their paper, State Supreme Court Ideology and 'New Style' Judicial Campaigns. A score above 0 indicated a more conservative leaning ideology while scores below 0 are more liberal. Gorman received a Campaign finance score (CFscore) of -1.02, indicating a liberal ideological leaning. This is more liberal than the average CF score of -1.01 that justices received in Maine. The study is based on data from campaign contributions by judges themselves, the partisan leaning of contributors to the judges or, in the absence of elections, the ideology of the appointing body (governor or legislature). This study is not a definitive label of a justice, but an academic gauge of various factors.
- State of Maine Judicial Branch, "Supreme Court Justice Biographies: Hon. Ellen A. Gorman"
- Project Vote Smart, "Justice Ellen A. Gorman (ME)"
- Sun Journal, "Dedication of state's lawyers recognize on Law Day," May 1, 2010
- Bangor Daily News, "Conviction upheld for marijuana cultivation," July 29, 2009
- Cleaves Law Library, "Ellen A. Gorman," accessed July 29, 2014
- American Judicature Society, "Methods of Judicial Selection: Maine Members of the Highest Court," accessed July 29, 2014
- State of Maine Judicial Branch, "Supreme Court Justice Biographies: Hon. Ellen A. Gorman," accessed July 29, 2014
- Stanford University, "State Supreme Court Ideology and 'New Style' Judicial Campaigns," October 31, 2012