Eric L. Levinson
|Eric L. Levinson|
|Current Court Information:|
|Seventh Division of the Superior Court, North Carolina|
|Title:||Superior Court Judge|
|Position:||26th Judicial District|
|Appointed by:||Gov. Bev Perdue|
|Past post:||Associate judge, North Carolina Court of Appeals|
|Past post 2:||District court judge, North Carolina 26th Judicial District|
|Past term 2:||1996-2001|
|Undergraduate:||University of Georgia, 1989|
|Law School:||University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1992|
|Candidate for:||Supreme Court|
|Election information 2014:|
Eric L. Levinson is a superior court judge for the 26th Judicial District of the Seventh Division of the Superior Court, which presides over Mecklenburg County, North Carolina. He was appointed to the court by former Governor Bev Perdue in June 2009 and his current term expires in 2018.
- For in-depth coverage of the state's high court races, see: North Carolina Supreme Court elections, 2014
- See also: North Carolina judicial elections, 2014
| Levinson is running for election to the North Carolina Supreme Court.
Primary: He won the primary on May 6, 2014, receiving 36.6% of the vote. He competed against incumbent Justice Robin Hudson and Jeanette Kathleen Doran.
General: He will face incumbent Robin Hudson in the general election on November 4, 2014.
This was the only supreme court race in North Carolina that included a primary election. With two Republican candidates--Levinson and Doran--in the primary, voter turnout from that party was expected to be high. It was speculated that a high Republican turnout could counteract Hudson's incumbent advantage. However, after election night, it was reported that Democrats accounted for approximately 42% of the voters, while Republicans represented only about 31%.
- North Carolina Republican Party State Executive Committee
Levinson was endorsed by the following former chief justices:
- I. Beverly Lake, Jr.
- Robert (Bob) Orr
- See also: North Carolina judicial elections, 2010
- 2009-2018: Superior court judge, 26th Judicial District of the Seventh Division of the Superior Court
- 2002-2009: Associate judge, North Carolina Court of Appeals
- 1996-2001: District court judge, North Carolina 26th Judicial District
- 1992-1996: Assistant district attorney, Prosecutorial District 19A
- 1992: Admitted to the North Carolina Bar 
Awards and associations
- Member, Judges’ Section, The American Bar Association
- Member, North Carolina Tenth Judicial District Bar
- Member, The Mecklenburg County Bar Association
- Member, National Council of Juvenile and Family Court Judges Cite error: Closing
- News: North Carolina candidates turn out for Conservatism on Tap, May 19, 2014
- Courts in North Carolina
- North Carolina Superior Courts
- Judicial selection in North Carolina
- Eric Levinson 2014 campaign website
- The North Carolina Court System, "Mecklenburg County - District 26"
- Blue Ridge Now.com, "Perdue names ex-appeals judge to Superior Court," June 30, 2009
- North Carolina State Board of Elections, "Candidate List Grouped by Contest," March 2, 2014
- Lady Liberty 1885, "The NC Supreme Court Races," April 14, 2014
- North Carolina State Board of Elections, "Voter Statistics," May 6, 2014 (Download)
- North Carolina Republican Party, "NC Republican Party Statement on Endorsements of Judicial Candidates," accessed August 20, 2014
- Eric Levinson for NC Supreme Court, accessed August 20, 2014
- North Carolina State Board of Elections, "2010 Candidate Filing List"
- The North Carolina Court System, "Profile: Judge Eric L. Levinson"