G. Todd Baugh
|G. Todd Baugh|
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|Montana 13th Judicial District Court|
|Past position:||Attorney, Private practice|
|Law School:||University of Texas|
G. Todd Baugh is a judge for the 13th District Court in Montana. He was elected to a new seat in 1984 and ran unopposed for re-election in 1990, 1996, 2002 and 2008. His current term expires in 2014. 
Baugh spent seventeen years as an attorney in general practice before his election to the District Court in 1984.
In the news
Teacher sentenced to 30 days in jail for rape of a student
Baugh to be censured for remarks
According to the Associated Press, Baugh admitted his comments regarding a 14-year old rape victim, during a sentencing hearing, violated judicial ethics rules in the state. However, he asserted the proper punishment for his misconduct was censure, not removal from the bench. Baugh noted the Montana Judicial Nominating Commission will recommend to the Montana Supreme Court that he be censured for his comment. Baugh went on to say,
|“||I can understand the appearance of impropriety, but I wasn't trying to blame the victim. . .||”|
Baugh allegedly stated in a letter to the Judicial Standards Commission that he believed the sentence for the rapist in the matter, Rambold, was "fair".
The Montana Attorney General's Office has filed an appeal to vacate the 30-day sentence and have the case sent back to district court for resentencing.
- Montana judge sentences ex-teacher to 30 days for sex with teen who committed suicide, August 27, 2013
- ↑ Billings Gazette, "Judges stand for election, but rarely against any one," February 9, 2008
- ↑ 13th District Court
- ↑ Martindale.com, Judge Profile: G. Todd Baugh
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Montana Supreme Court: 1995 Annual Report Scroll to p.10
- ↑ Billings Gazette, "Former Senior High teacher gets 30 days for rape of student", August 26, 2013
- ↑ New York Daily News, "Montana judge sentences ex-teacher to 30 days for sex with teen who committed suicide", August 27, 2013
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 USA Today, "Judge defends 30-day sentence for teacher who raped girl", August 28, 2013
- ↑ NBC - U.S. News, "Embattled Montana judge orders new sentencing for teacher convicted of sex with student", September 3, 2013
- ↑ Reuters, "Montana appeals 30-day rape sentence for former teacher", September 4, 2013
- ↑ Los Angeles Times, "Montana Supreme Court blocks judge's bid to resentence rapist", September 6, 2013
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 ABA Journal, "Judge admits violating ethics with remarks about 14-year-old rape victim, but argues against removal," December 4, 2013