Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit|
|Appointed by:||Ronald Reagan|
|Active:||8/13/1984 - Present|
|Preceded by:||John Butzner|
|Home State:||New York, NY|
|Law School:||U. Virginia Law, 1972|
James Harvie Wilkinson III is an Article III federal judge on the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit. He joined the Court in 1984 after being nominated by President Ronald Reagan.
Early life and education
Born in New York City, New York, Wilkinson graduated from Yale University with his bachelor's degree in 1967. Wilkinson served in the United States Army from 1968 to 1969 and received his Juris Doctor degree from the University of Virginia School of Law in 1972.
- 1983-1984: Professor, University of Virginia School of Law
- 1982-1983: Deputy Assistant U.S. Attorney General, Civil Rights Division, U.S. Department of Justice
- 1978-1981: Editorial Page Editor, Norfolk Virginian-Pilot
- 1973-1978: Associate Professor, University of Virginia School of Law
- 1972-1973: Law Clerk, Justice Lewis Powell, Supreme Court of the United States
- 1970: Republican Candidate for United States House of Representatives from Virginia
On the recommendation of Virginia U.S. Senator John Warner, Wilkinson was nominated to the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit by President Ronald Reagan on January 30, 1984 to a seat vacated by John Butzner, Jr.,. Wilkinson was confirmed by the Senate on August 9, 1984, on a Senate vote and received commission on August 13, 1984. Wilkinson served as the Chief Judge of the Court from 1996 to 2003.
- Judges of the Fourth Circuit
- The Washington Post, Op-ed: "Bipartisan approval lends a sense of balance to the judiciary," November 24, 2013 by Judge Wilkinson
- CSpan Video Library, Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals Judicial Conference, Video: Chief Justice John Roberts Remarks and interview with Judge Harvie Wilkinson, June 29, 2013
- The New York Times, Editorial by Judge Wilkinson: "Cry, the Beloved Constitution," March 11, 2012
|Federal judicial offices|
|Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals
Chief Judge: William Traxler • Barbara Keenan • Steven Agee • Harvie Wilkinson • Paul Niemeyer • Diana Motz • Robert King • Roger Gregory • Dennis Shedd • Allyson Duncan • Andre Davis • Henry Floyd • James Wynn • Albert Diaz • Stephanie Thacker
|Former judges||Hugh Lennox Bond • Karen J. Williams • Blane Michael • Michael Luttig • Emory Sneeden • Samuel Ervin • James Sprouse • Charles Henry Simonton • Nathan Goff • Edmund Waddill • Jeter Connelly Pritchard • Martin Augustine Knapp • John Carter Rose • Charles Albert Woods • Morris Ames Soper • Elliott Northcott • John Johnston Parker • Armistead Dobie • Harrison Winter • James Craven • Donald Russell • Albert Bryan, Sr. • John Butzner • Hiram Widener • Herbert Boreman • John Field • Kenneth Hall • J. Spencer Bell • Clement Haynsworth • Francis Murnaghan • Simon Sobeloff • William Walter Wilkins •|
|Former Chief judges|
This page is missing notable case information.