J. Larry Buffington
|J. Larry Buffington|
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|Mississippi 13th Chancery District|
|Succeeded by:||David Shoemake|
J. Larry Buffington was a judge for the 13th Chancery District of Mississippi. The 13th District serves Covington, Jefferson Davis, Lawrence, Simpson and Smith counties. After running for reelection in 2010, he was defeated by David Shoemake.
- Main article: Mississippi judicial elections, 2010
Judicial reprimand recommended
State judicial watchdog group The Commission on Judicial Performance recommended that Buffington be reprimanded for issuing subpoenas to two Simpson County supervisors in February of 2009. The Commission found that Buffington lacked the authority to compel the supervisors to appear before him for questioning. The commission report read in part: "Judge Buffington admitted that he had failed to comply with the law when issuing the subpoenas, but did not care." When questioned about the recommendation, Buffington said: "It's fair. It's time to conclude this and move on." 
- ↑ The Impact, "Shoemake sworn in as Chancery Court Judge," January 11, 2011
- ↑ WLBT3, "2010 Runoff Elections," November 24, 2010
- ↑ NEMS360.com, "Judicial Race Results," November 3, 2010
- ↑ Mississippi Secretary of State, Sample Official Election Ballot, 2010 General Election
- ↑ Clarion Ledger "Judge rapped by judicial watchdog", May 28, 2010
- ↑ Clarion Ledger "Buffington: Judge puts the Buff in buffoonery", May 30, 2010