Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|Richland County Court of Common Pleas, Ohio|
|Past position:||Chief of the Civil Division, Richland County Prosecutor's Office and Magistrate, Richland County Court of Common Pleas|
|Law School:||University of Dayton|
|Candidate for:||Richland County Court of Common Pleas|
|Position:||Term commencing 2/9/2015|
|Election information 2014:|
James DeWeese is a judge on the Richland County Court of Common Pleas General Division in Mansfield, Ohio. He was first elected to the court in 1990.Cite error: Invalid
name cannot be a simple integer. Use a descriptive title DeWeese was re-elected to the Richland County Court of Common Pleas General Division in 2014, winning a new term that expires on December 31, 2020.
- See also: Ohio judicial elections, 2014
| DeWeese ran for re-election to the Richland County Court of Common Pleas General Division.
General: He was unopposed in the general election on November 4, 2014.
DeWeese was re-elected to the Richland County Court of Common Pleas General Division in November 2008 for a six-year term, effective until February 8, 2015.Cite error: Invalid
name cannot be a simple integer. Use a descriptive title
- 1990-2020: Judge, Richland County Court of Common Pleas General Division
- 1986-1990: Chief of the Civil Division, Richland County Prosecutor's Office and Magistrate, Richland County Court of Common Pleas
- 1979-1986: Attorney in private practice, Mansfield, Ohio
- 1979: Admitted to the Ohio Bar
Awards and associations
- Member, Richland County Community Corrections Planning Board
- Member, Ohio Judicial Conference
- Member, Judicial Advisory Boards of CROSSWAEH Community Corrections Center and Licking-Muskingum Community Corrections Center
Ten Commandments poster
Judge DeWeese has been taken to court twice for hanging a poster of the Ten Commandments in his courtroom. The Supreme Court refused to hear an appeal on the case in 2006 when DeWeese was ordered to remove the poster, and he was in court again in 2010 over a newly redesigned version.
- Judicial selection in Ohio
- Richland County Board of Elections, "May 6, 2014 Primary Election Candidates and Issues," accessed March 6, 2014
- Martindale.com, "Judge Profile: James DeWeese"
- Ohio Judicial Conference, 2011 Annual Meeting, "Examining the Constitution: A Judicial Perspective," September 8-9, 2011 (dead link)
- United Press International "Judge goes to court over Ten Commandments," January 29, 2010
- ABAJournal, "6th Circuit Rules Against Ohio Judge's Modified Ten Commandments Poster," February 3, 2011