Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|Richland County Court of Common Pleas, Ohio|
|Past position:||Chief of the Civil Division, Richland County Prosecutor's Office and Magistrate, Richland County Court of Common Pleas|
|Law School:||University of Dayton|
James DeWeese is a judge on the Richland County Court of Common Pleas General Division in Mansfield, Ohio. He was first elected to the court in 1990 and was most recently re-elected in November 2008 for another six-year term which expires on February 8, 2015.
- 1990-2015: Judge, Richland County Court of Common Pleas General Division
- 1986-1990: Chief of the Civil Division, Richland County Prosecutor's Office and Magistrate, Richland County Court of Common Pleas
- 1979-1986: Attorney, Private practice, Mansfield, Ohio
- 1979: Admitted to the Ohio Bar
Awards and associations
- Member, Richland County Community Corrections Planning Board
- Member, Ohio Judicial Conference
- Member, Judicial Advisory Boards of CROSSWAEH Community Corrections Center and Licking-Muskingum Community Corrections Center
Ten Commandments poster
Judge DeWeese has been taken to court twice for hanging a poster of the Ten Commandments in his courtroom. The Supreme Court refused to hear an appeal on the case in 2006 when DeWeese was ordered to remove the poster, and he was in court again in 2010 over a newly redesigned version.
- Ohio Secretary of State, Official Website: Judiciary Election Roster 2009-2010
- Martindale.com, Judge Profile: James DeWeese
- Ohio Judicial Conference, 2011 Annual Meeting, "Examining the Constitution: A Judicial Perspective," September 8-9, 2011
- United Press International "Judge goes to court over Ten Commandments," January 29, 2010
- ABAJournal, "6th Circuit Rules Against Ohio Judge's Modified Ten Commandments Poster," February 3, 2011