Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas|
|Appointed by:||Barack Obama|
|Active:||12/6/2011 - Present|
|Preceded by:||Thad Heartfield|
|Home State:||Pensacola, FL|
|Undergraduate:||Baylor University, B.A., 1978|
|Law School:||Baylor University School of Law, J.D., 1981|
James Gilstrap is a federal judge for the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas. He joined the court in 2011 after a nomination from Barack Obama. Prior to nomination, he was a private practice lawyer in the firm Smith & Gilstrap in Marshall, Texas, a position he had held since 1984.
Early life and education
Gilstrap received a bachelor's and J.D. from Baylor University in 1978 and 1981 respectivly.
- Associate, Abney, Baldwin & Searcy, 1981-1984
- County Judge, Harrison County, Texas, 1989-2002
- Partner, Smith & Gilstrap, 1984-2011 
Eastern District of Texas
James Gilstrap was nominated by Obama to the Eastern District of Texas on May 19, 2011. He was nominated to the spot left vacant by Judge Thad Heartfield's assumption of senior status. Obama commented on the nomination, stating, "Throughout their careers, these nominees have displayed unwavering commitment to justice and integrity. Their records of public service are distinguished and impressive and I am confident that they will serve the American people well from the United States District Court bench. I am honored to nominate them today."
He was rated Unanimously Qualified by the American Bar Association. He had a hearing before the Senate Judiciary committee on July 28, 2011 and you can find his Committee Questionnaire available here and his Questions for the Record available here.
- Judge James Gilstrap Official FJC Bio
- White House Press Release "President Obama Nominates Three to the United States District Court," May 19, 2011
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Judge James Gilstrap Official FJC Bio
- ↑ White House Press Release "President Obama Nominates Three to the United States District Court," May 19, 2011
- ↑ 112th Congress Nomination Materials
- ↑ Houston Chronicle Blog, "Texas judicial nominee clears key hurdle in the senate", September 15, 2011
- ↑ 112th Congress Confirmations
|Federal judicial offices|
|Eastern District of Texas
|Magistrate judges||Amos Mazzant • Don Bush • Caroline Craven • Keith Giblin • John Love • Zack Hawthorn • Roy Payne • Katie Nicole Mitchell •|
|Former Article III judges||
John Charles Watrous • Amos Morrill • Joel Winch • Chauncey Brewer Sabin • Robert Parker • David Ezekiel Bryant • Gordon James Russell • William Lee Estes • David Folsom • T. John Ward • William Justice • Randolph Bryant • Paul Brown • Lamar Cecil • Howell Cobb • Joseph Fisher • Sam Hall • John H. Hannah • Joseph Sheehy • William Steger •
|Former Chief judges|