Jean Hudson Boyd
|Jean Hudson Boyd|
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|Texas District 323|
|Title:||Family District Judge|
|Past position:||Associate judge, District 323|
|Undergraduate:||Texas Tech University|
|Law School:||South Texas College of Law|
Jean Hudson Boyd is the judge of Texas District 323. She was elected as the family district judge of this court in 1994, effective January 1, 1995. Her current term expires on December 31, 2014.
Boyd worked as an associate judge of the 323rd District Court prior to her election to the district judge seat in 1994.
Teen drunk driver kills 4, receives 10 years probation
UPDATE: On April 11, 2014, Judge Jean Boyd ordered Couch to attend drug and alcohol rehabilitation treatment at the North Texas State Hospital. Couch's parents had offered to send him to a $450,000 a year treatment facility in Newport Beach, California, but this was denied by Judge Jean Boyd. Instead, she ordered that Couch's parents pay only 5% of the total cost of Couch's rehabilitation at the North Texas State Hospital. At a hospital where such treatment costs $715 per day, Couch's parents will be responsible for paying $1,170 per month. The difference will be paid for by the state.
Awards and associations
- 2003: Angel in Adoption Award, Congressional Coalition on Adoption Institute
- 2001: Professionalism Award, Tarrant County Bar Association
- 1999: Judge of the Year, Texas CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocates)
- Texas Juvenile Probation Commission
- Chair, Juvenile Justice Committee of the Judicial Section of the State Bar of Texas
- Former chair, Juvenile Law Section of the State Bar of Texas
- Past board member, Tarrant County Bar Association
- Past president, Tarrant County Women Lawyers Association,
- Past president, Tarrant County Young Lawyers Association
- Past president, Eldon B. Mahon Inn of Court
- Board member, Gill Children’s Services, Inc.
- Past board member, Child Advocates of Tarrant County and Alliance for Children
Boyd was first elected to the District Court in 2004. She defeated Robert Cortez with 62.6% of the vote.
Boyd was re-elected to the District Court without opposition.
- 323rd District
- Tarrant County: History of the District and Criminal Courts of Tarrant County"
- Texas State Directory: Jean Boyd profile
- Abilene Reporter-News, "Appointed to Texas Juvenile Probation Commission," June 5, 2005 (Zoominfo cached page)
- CNN, "Texas teen Ethan Couch gets 10 years' probation for driving drunk, killing 4," December 12, 2013
- NY Daily News.com, '‘Affluenza’ teen’s parents to pay only 5% of treatment costs at state hospital: judge," April 12, 2014
- Texas Monthly.com, "The State of Texas: April 14, 2014," April 14, 2014
- Texas Secretary of State: Election History Select "1994 General Election" > "County Race Summary" > "TARRANT"
- Texas Secretary of State: Election History Select "2010 General Election" > "County Race Summary" > "TARRANT"