Jeffrey M. Sherlock
|Jeffrey M. Sherlock|
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|Montana 1st Judicial District Court|
|Alternative court:||Montana Water Court|
|Undergraduate:||University of Montana|
|Law School:||University of Montana|
|Candidate for:||Montana 1st Judicial District Court|
|Election information 2012:|
|Primary date:||June 5, 2012|
|Election date:||November 6, 2012|
Rejection of marriage equality lawsuit
In April 2011, Sherlock rejected a suit that aimed to equate the legal protections of gay and married couples. The judge found that the Montana's constitutional amendment passed by voters that defined marriage as between a man and woman inhibited him from ruling in favor of the plaintiffs. The American Civil Liberties Union, the organization that brought the case, says it plans to appeal the ruling to the Montana Supreme Court.
- See also: Montana judicial elections, 2012
- News: Lethal injection procedure violates Montana constitution, judge rules, September 19, 2012
- News: Group challenges law requiring public disclosure of campaign spending, October 20, 2011
- Montana District Courts
- Montana Water Court
- 1st District Court
- Martindale.com, "Judge Profile: Jeffrey M. Sherlock"
- Billings Gazette, "Montana judge rules against gay couples seeking rights," April 21, 2011
- Montana Secretary of State, "Unofficial 2012 Primary Election Results"
- Montana Secretary of State - 2012 Official General Election Results