Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|United States District Court for the District of South Dakota|
|Appointed by:||Barack Obama|
|Active:||9/30/2009 - Present|
|Preceded by:||Lawrence Piersol|
|Home State:||Huron, SD|
|Undergraduate:||U. of South Dakota, B.A., 1974|
|Law School:||U. of South Dakota School of Law, J.D., 1977|
Jeffery Lynn Viken is a federal judge on the United States District Court for the District of South Dakota. He was nominated by President Obama and was confirmed by the U.S. Senate on a unopposed 99-0-1 vote on September 29, 2009.
Early life and education
From 1977 to 1981, Viken joined the U.S. Attorney's Office as Assistant U.S. Attorney for the District of South Dakota. While as an Assistant US Attorney, Viken served as First Assistant and acting U.S. Attorney. From 1981 to 2003, Viken worked in private practice licensed in South Dakota with a practice emphasis on criminal and civil litigation in the federal courts. Viken served as federal public defender for the Districts of South Dakota and North Dakota from 2003-2009.
District of South Dakota
|Court:||District of South Dakota|
|Progress:||Confirmed 96 days after nomination.|
|Nominated:||June 25, 2009|
|ABA Rating:||Substantial Majority Well Qualified, Minority Qualified|
|Hearing:||July 29, 2009|
|Reported:||September 10, 2009|
|Confirmed:||September 29, 2009|
On the recommendation of South Dakota U.S. Senator Tim Johnson, Viken was nominated by President Barack Obama on June 25, 2009 to a seat vacated by Lawrence Piersol. Viken was confirmed by the U.S. Senate on September 29, 2009.
Judiciary Committee hearing
Viken had a hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee on July 29, 2009. The Committee voted to forward his nomination to the full Senate on September 10, 2009, and his nomination was confirmed on September 29, 2009. 
- News: Judge Viken sentences Old West reenactor to 7 1/2 years, April 11, 2012
- News: Police officer discrimination case dismissed by Judge Viken, March 30, 2012
- Official press release from Senator Leahy announcing Viken's confirmation
- Official press release from The White House announcing Viken's nomination
- Official press release from South Dakota US Senator Tim Johnson recommending Viken's nomination
- Biography from Federal Judicial Center
- ↑ "Rapid City Journal" U.S. Senate approves Rapid City attorney's federal judgeship, September 30, 2009
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 "The White House" President Obama nominates Charlene Honeywell and Jeffery Viken to serve on the Federal District Court Bench, June 25, 2009
- ↑ Viken Biography from the Federal Judicial Center.
- ↑ "Senator Tim Johnson" Senator Johnson recommends Jeffery Viken", February 20, 2009
- ↑ Biography from Federal Judicial Center
- ↑ "American Bar Association" Ratings of Article III Judicial Nominees of the 111th Congress, July 6, 2009
- ↑ Judicial Nomination Materials
|Federal judicial offices|
|District of South Dakota
|Magistrate judges||William D. Gerdes • Veronica Duffy • Mark Moreno • John Simko •|
|Former Article III judges|
|Former Chief judges|