Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|United States District Court for the District of Nebraska|
|Appointed by:||Pres. Bill Clinton|
|Preceded by:||Lyle Strom|
|Undergraduate:||Creighton University, 1971|
|Law School:||Creighton University School of Law, 1974|
Joseph F. Bataillon is an Article III federal judge for the United States District Court for the District of Nebraska. He joined the court in 1997 after being nominated by President Bill Clinton. Bataillon served as the chief judge of the court from 2004 to 2011. He has announced his intention to step down from active service and take senior status, effective October 3, 2014.
District of Nebraska
On the recommendation of Senator Bob Kerrey, Bataillon was nominated by President Bill Clinton on January 7, 1997, to a seat vacated by Judge Lyle Strom as Strom took senior status. Bataillion was confirmed by the U.S. Senate on September 11, 1997, on a unanimous consent of the Senate and received commission on September 18, 1997. On September 23, 2013, Bataillon announced he would be taking senior status on October 3, 2014.
Out-of-state petitions signers ruling (2011)United States District Court for the District of Nebraska (Citizens in Charge v. Gale, No. 4:09CV3255)
In 2011, Judge Bataillon presided over a case where the difficulty of collecting signatures for petitions was in question. Bataillon ruled that a law that required petitions only be circulated by Nebraska citizens of at least age 18, to be unconstitutional. The ruling allowed people from outside of Nebraska to collect signatures for a petition. The case stemmed from petitions that were aimed at recalling Omaha Mayor Jim Suttle.
- United States District Court for the District of Nebraska
- News: Federal Judge Speaks About Judicial Vacancies, April 15, 2012
- United States District Court District of Nebraska, Press Release: "United States District Judge Joseph F. Bataillon Announces Retirement to Senior Status," September 23, 2013
- Bataillon Biography from the Federal Judicial Center
- THOMAS, "Nomination of Joseph Bataillon", June 1, 2009
- Omaha, "U.S. District Court Judge Joseph Bataillon announces retirement plans," September 23, 2013
- Nebraska Watchdog, "Ruling Makes Ballot Fights in Nebraska A Bit Easier," August 31, 2011
|Federal judicial offices|
|District of Nebraska
Thomas Thalken • F.A. Gossett III • Cheryl Renae Zwart •
|Former Article III judges||
|Former Chief judges|