Kathleen F. Trandahl
|Kathleen F. Trandahl|
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|South Dakota Sixth Judicial Circuit|
|Appointed by:||Gov. Walter Miller|
|Past post:||Attorney in private practice|
|Past term:||Deputy state's attorney for Tripp County|
|Undergraduate:||Augustana College, 1982|
|Law School:||University of South Dakota, 1985|
|Candidate for:||Sixth Judicial Circuit|
|Election information 2014:|
Trandahl was re-elected in 2014.
- See also: South Dakota judicial elections, 2014
| Trandahl ran for re-election to the Sixth Judicial Circuit.
General: She was unopposed in the general election on November 4, 2014.
Prior to her appointment to the bench, Trandahl maintained a private law practice and served as deputy state's attorney for Tripp County. She worked as a law clerk for the Third Judicial Circuit, as well.
In November 2009, Judge Trandahl heard and ruled on the legality of the proposed South Dakota Smoking Ban Referendum. The American Cancer Society had claimed that South Dakota’s expanded smoking-ban law couldn't be referred to a public vote, arguing that it would violate the state constitution because "it is necessary for the immediate preservation of public health." If the measure was approved for the ballot, the controversy regarding the number of valid submitted signatures would be discussed in court.
In a ruling handed down by Trandahl, the organization was allowed to involve themselves in a lawsuit that determined whether the measure would appear on the November 2010 ballot.
Judge Trandahl ruled that referendum supporters had 240 more signatures than the minimum signature requirement. The smoking ban referendum was on the 2010 statewide ballot. Attorney General Marty Jackley and Secretary of State Chris Nelson said the state would not appeal the court's decision.
- South Dakota Unified Judicial System, "Sixth Judicial Circuit"
- LinkedIn, "Kathleen Trandahl," accessed October 16, 2014
- South Dakota Secretary of State, "Current candidates for primary election - 6/3/2014," updated May 6, 2014, accessed May 8, 2014pg. 62
- Martindale.com, "Kathleen F. Trandahl," accessed October 16, 2014
- Pioneer Review, "Four candidates vie for two positions in 6th Circuit Court," October 19, 2006
- American News, "Smoking ban case in court," November 13, 2009
- The Jamestown Sun, "American Cancer Society joins smoking ban lawsuit," October 6, 2009
- Pure Pierre Politics, "No appeal of smoking-ban referendum," accessed October 16, 2014
- South Dakota Retailers Association, "STATE SMOKING BAN TO GO TO PUBLIC VOTE," March 16, 2012