Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|Montana 1st Judicial District Court|
|Candidate for:||1st District Court|
|Election information 2014:|
- See also: Montana judicial elections, 2014
|Seeley is running for retention to the 1st District Court. The general election takes place on November 4, 2014.|
She ran unopposed in the primary on June 3, 2014.
Dismissing Gov. Schweitzer's suit
In late 2010, Judge Kathy Seeley dismissed a lawsuit Gov. Brian Schweitzer filed against the legislature in September of that year. Schweitzer claimed a bill, HP 676, passed in 2009 was unconstitutional because it "limited his veto power." Judge Seeley said:
|“||While (the governor) alleges that the Legislature’s actions in passing HB 676 (in 2009) ‘limited’ his veto power, and his brief in opposition to the motion to dismiss asserts that his ‘constitutional veto power was essentially nullified’ and ‘effectively invalidated’ by the Legislature’s actions, the fact is that his veto power was never in jeopardy. Instead, he chose not to exercise it and not to sign the bill, both of which were legitimate options.||”|
- Montana Judicial Branch, "1st District Court"
- Montana Secretary of State, "2014 Candidate Filing List: Non-Legislative," accessed March 31, 2014
- Montana Secretary of State, "Primary Election Results - District Courts," June 4, 2014
- Montana Watchdog, "Judge dismisses governor’s lawsuit against the state Legislature," December 29, 2010
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.