Kevin Patrick Yeary
|Kevin Patrick Yeary|
|Current Court Information:|
|Undergraduate:||St. Mary's University, 1988|
|Law School:||St. Mary's University, 1991|
|Candidate for:||Texas Court of Criminal Appeals|
|Election information 2014:|
| Yeary is running for election to the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals.
Primary: He won the Republican primary on March 4, 2014, receiving 54.7% of the vote. He competed against Jani Jo Wood and Richard Dean Davis.
General: He will face Quanah Parker (Libertarian) and Judith Sanders-Castro (Green Party) in the general election on November 4, 2014.
Below are the results of the 2014 judicial poll, conducted by the State Bar of Texas, which asked attorneys to cast a vote in favor of their preferred candidate in each appellate race.
|Place 4 Judge|
|Richard Dean Davis||867|
|Jani Jo Wood||1565|
|Kevin Patrick Yeary||1921|
Yeary began his career as a briefing attorney for the late Judge Bill White of the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals in 1991. He then joined a San Antonio law firm, where he worked as an associate attorney until 1995. That year, he became an appellate prosecutor. He joined the appellate division of the Bexar County Criminal District Attorney’s Office in 1998 and became a first chair (senior) prosecutor there. He has also taught various legal courses and has served as an adjunct professor for San Antonio College's paralegal studies program.
Awards and associations
- Rated "AV Preeminent®" by Martindale Hubbell
- Rated "Superb" by the AVVO lawyer rating service
- Secretary, San Antonio Bar Association’s Appellate Section
- Law school and criminal courts committees, San Antonio Bar Association
- Commentator for the Texas Independent Bar Association G&S Report
- Former member, Publications committee, Texas District and County Attorney’s Association
- Member of the writing and grading team for the criminal appellate law exam, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- St. Padre Pio Catholic Church
- Catholic Lawyers Guild of San Antonio and of the Knights of Columbus
- Former board member and current official, Encino Park Swim Team
According to Yeary's campaign website:
|“||Kevin is a life long Republican and real conservative. He believes that our laws should be written by the Legislature, not by the Courts. He understands that a judge's duty is to follow the law, not make it.||”|
- Texas Secretary of State, 2014 March Primary Election Candidate Filings by County
- Texas Secretary of State: 2014 Republican Party Primary Election, Unofficial Results
- State Bar of Texas: 2014 Judicial Poll results
- Kevin Patrick Year campaign website: About, archived February 14, 2014
- Kevin Patrick Year campaign website: Career, archived February 14, 2014
- Information submitted to Judgepedia via email on February 14, 2014