Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|United States District Court for the District of Hawaii|
|Appointed by:||Barack Obama|
|Active:||12/22/2010 - Present|
|Preceded by:||Helen Gillmor|
|Home State:||Mount Holly, New Jersey|
|Undergraduate:||Wellesley College, B.A., 1979|
|Law School:||Boston College School of Law, J.D., 1983|
Leslie Emi Kobayashi (b. 1957) is an Article III federal judge for the United States District Court for the District of Hawaii. She was nominated to the court by Barack Obama on April 21, 2010 and confirmed by the Senate on December 18, 2010.
Early life and education
- 2000-2001: Adjunct Professor, William S. Richardson School of Law, University of Hawaii at Manoa
- 1984-1999: Private Practice, Honolulu, Hawaii
- Managing Partner, Fujiyama, Duffy & Fujiyama
District of Hawaii
|Court:||District of Hawaii|
|Progress:||Confirmed 241 days after nomination.|
|Nominated:||April 21, 2010|
|ABA Rating:||Substantial Majority Well Qualified, Minority Qualified|
|Hearing:||July 15, 2010|
|Reported:||August 5, 2010|
|Confirmed:||December 18, 2010|
|Vote: Voice vote|
On April 21, 2010 Kobayashi was nominated to a seat as a federal judge on the District of Hawaii by President Obama. She was nominated to fill the seat vacated by Helen Gillmor. Kobayashi was confirmed to the court by the Senate on December 18, 2010.
Judiciary Committee hearing
District of Hawaii magistrate judge
- Judges of the District of Hawaii
- Political News "SENATE CONFIRMS NOMINATION OF LESLIE E. KOBAYASHI TO SERVE AS U.S. DISTRICT JUDGE FOR HAWAII," December 19, 2010
- Star-Advertiser "Kobayashi confirmed as Hawaii U.S. district judge," December 18, 2010
- Kobayashi Biography from the Federal Judicial Center
- "Newswatch," Star-Bulletin, June 2, 2007 Scroll to "Kobayashi appointed to new term"
- White House Press Release "President Obama Names Five to the United States District Court," April 21, 2010
- Kobayashi Biography from the Federal Judicial Center.
- White House Press Release "Presidential Nominations Sent to the Senate, 4/21/10"
- Star-Bulletin "Obama nominates Judge Leslie Kobayashi for District Court seat," April 21, 2010
- Honolulu Advertiser "Obama nominates Kobayashi for District Judge post," April 21, 2010
- Judicial Nomination Materials
- U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee, Judicial Nomination Materials: 111th Congress
- Senate Judiciary Committee Hearing, August 5, 2010
|Federal judicial offices|
|District of Hawaii
|Magistrate judges||Richard Puglisi • Kevin Chang • Barry Kurren •|
|Former Article III judges|
|Former Chief judges|
|Vacancy Count by Congress|
|Vacancy Count by Year||Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2009 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2010 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2011 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2012|