|Current Court Information:|
|United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas|
|Appointed by:||Barack Obama|
|Active:||10/3/2011 - Present|
|Preceded by:||Samuel Kent|
|Hometown:||Nuevo Laredo, Mexico|
|Undergraduate:||U. of the Incarnate Word '92|
|Law School:||St. Mary's University '96|
|Grad. School:||St. Mary's University '96 (M.A.)|
Marina Garcia Marmolejo is an Article III federal judge for the United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas. She joined the court in 2011 after being nominated by President Barack Obama. Prior to joining the court, Marmolejo was a private practice attorney in Texas.
Early life and education
After graduating from law school, Marmolejo served as an Assistant Federal Public Defender in the Western District of Texas. She worked in the same position in the Southern District of Texas from 1998 to 1999. That year, she became Assistant U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Texas. In 2007, she went into private practice.
Southern District of Texas
|Court:||Southern District of Texas|
|Progress:||Confirmed 432 days after nomination.|
President Obama nominated Marmolejo on July 28, 2010 to the federal court. She was recommended for this position by the state's two Republican senators. Obama commented on the nomination, stating, "I am proud to nominate Marina Marmolejo to serve on the United States District Court. I am confident she will serve on the federal bench with distinction."
The American Bar Association unanimously rated her "Qualified" for the position. A hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee was held on May 24, 2011. You can find her Committee Questionnaire available here and her Questions for the Record available here.
Marmolejo's nomination was returned to the President at the end of the 111th Congress. President Obama resubmitted the nomination on January 5, 2011. Judge Marmolejo was confirmed on October 3, 2011 with a senate voice vote.
Awards and associations
- Super Lawyers, Texas Rising Stars 2011
- Hispanic Business: The 100 Influentials-Thought Leaders 2010
- 2007 Outstanding Service, Immigration and Customs Enforcement
- 2006 Outstanding Service, Drug Enforcement Administration
- 2003 & 2006 Outstanding Service, Federal Bureau of Investigation
- 2005 Outstanding Service, Office of the Inspector General, Department of Homeland Security
- 2002, 2004, 2005 Michael T. Shelby U.S. Attorney's Sisyphus Award
- 2002 Service Recognition, Nuevo Laredo, Tamaulipas Rotary Club
- 2000 Tejano Achievers Award, Laredo LULAC Council
- Member, Association of Defense Council, Inc.
- Member, College of The State Bar of Texas
- Member, Laredo Women's Bar Association
- Member, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Member, National Association of Assistant United States Attorneys
- Member, Texas State Bar Association
- Member, Young Lawyers' Association of Laredo, Texas
- Judge Marmolejo's Biography from Federal Judicial Center
- The White House, Press Release: President Obama Names Marina Marmolejo to the United States District Court," July 28, 2010
- San Antonio Express-News, "Obama names Laredo lawyer to federal judge post," July 28, 2010
- Judicial Nomination Materials
- 112th Congress Confirmations
- Senate Judiciary Committee, Judicial Nomination Materials: 111th Congress, Committee Questionnaire
|Federal judicial offices|
|Southern District of Texas
|Vacancy Count by Congress|
|Vacancy Count by Year||Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2009 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2010 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2011 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2012|