Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|California Supreme Court|
|Appointed by:||Gov. George Deukmejian|
|Succeeded by:||Mariano-Florentino Cuéllar|
|Past post:||Judge, California Fifth District Court of Appeal|
|Past post 2:||Appointments secretary, Gov. George Deukmejian|
|Past term 2:||1983-1988|
|Undergraduate:||California State University, 1962|
|Law School:||Hastings College of the Law, 1966|
Marvin R. Baxter was an associate justice on the California Supreme Court. He was appointed to the court in the state's commission-selection, political appointment method of judicial selection in January 1991 by Governor George Deukmejian. He was retained to a full twelve-year term in 2002. Baxter announced his retirement in June 2014, effective at the end of his term on January 4, 2015.
- 1991-2015: Associate justice, California Supreme Court
- 1988-1991: Associate justice, Fifth Appellate District of the California Court of Appeal
- 1983-1988: Appointments secretary, Gov. George Deukmejian
- 1970-1983: Attorney, Andrews, Andrews, Thaxter, Jones and Baxter
- 1967-1969: Deputy district attorney, Fresno County 
Awards and associations
- 1998: Distinguished Alumnus Award, Hastings College of the Law
- 1996: Distinguished Alumnus Award, California State University, Fresno
- 1996: Mentor Award, Fresno County Young Lawyers Association
- 1995: Alumnus of the Year Award, Fresno Chapter of the Hastings College of the Law Alumni Association
- 1993: Man of the Year Award, Armenian Professional Society
- 1991: Man of the Year Award, Armenian National Committee
- 1962: Outstanding Senior Award, California State University, Fresno 
- Member, Judicial Council of California
- Chair, Judicial Council of California, Policy Coordination
- Chair, Judicial Council of California, Liaison Committee
- Former chair, California Supreme Court's Building, Official Reports, and Library Committees
- Member, Board of Directors, Fresno County Bar Association
- Member, Board of Directors, Fresno County Young Lawyers Association
- Member, Board of Directors, Fresno County Legal Services, Inc.
- Member, Board of Directors, California Young Lawyers Association
- Former president, Fresno County Bar Association, 1981
- Former president, Fresno County Young Lawyers 1973-1974
- Board member, Fresno State Alumni Association
- Former president, Fresno State Alumni Association Trust Council
- Director emeritus, Hastings College of the Law 
| California Supreme Court, Associate Justice|
2002 General election results
In October 2012, political science professors Adam Bonica and Michael Woodruff of Stanford University attempted to determine the partisan ideology of state supreme court justices in their paper, State Supreme Court Ideology and 'New Style' Judicial Campaigns. A score above 0 indicated a more conservative leaning ideology while scores below 0 are more liberal. Baxter received a Campaign finance score (CFscore) of 0.48, indicating a conservative ideological leaning. This is more conservative than the average CF score of -0.32 that justices received in California. The study is based on data from campaign contributions by judges themselves, the partisan leaning of contributors to the judges or, in the absence of elections, the ideology of the appointing body (governor or legislature). This study is not a definitive label of a justice, but an academic gauge of various factors.
- California Courts, "Associate Justice Marvin R. Baxter Biography"
- Hastings College of Law, "California Supreme Court Justices Welcome Hastings' Newest Attorneys"
- Los Angeles Times, "California Supreme Court looks unlikely to kill Proposition 8," March 6, 2009
- UCTV, "The Supreme Court of California: Access to Justice in Family Court," February 9, 2009
- California Courts, "Associate Justice Marvin R. Baxter Biography," accessed July 23, 2014
- SF Gate, "State high court's leading conservative to retire," June 18, 2014
- California.gov: Office of Governor Edmund G. Brown, Jr, "Governor Brown selects Mariano-Florentino Cuéllar for Californai Supreme Court," July 22, 2014
- California Secretary of State, "2002 General Election Results"
- Stanford University, "State Supreme Court Ideology and 'New Style' Judicial Campaigns," October 31, 2012
|Former||Annette Abbott Adams • Alexander O. Anderson • Frank M. Angellotti • Rose Bird • Carlos Moreno • Marvin Baxter • Joyce Kennard • Ronald George • Serranus Clinton Hastings •|