|Mary C. Jacobson|
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|New Jersey Vicinage 7|
|Title: || Presiding Judge|
|Position: || Superior Court, Chancery Division|
|Active: || 2001-2023|
|Past position: || Assistant Attorney General, New Jersey|
|Past term: || 1993-2001|
|Born: || 1953|
|Undergraduate: || Smith College, 1974|
|Law School: || New York University School of Law, 1978|
Mary C. Jacobson is a judge on the Vicinage 7 Superior Court in New Jersey.  Jacobson was appointed to the court in 2001 and obtained tenured status in 2008. She will now serve on the court until she reaches 70 years of age in 2023.
Jacobson received her undergraduate degree from Smith College in 1974 and her J.D. from New York University School of Law in 1978.
- 2001-2023: Judge, New Jersey Vicinage 7
- 1993-2001: Assistant Attorney General, New Jersey
- 1979-1993: Deputy Assistant Attorney General, New Jersey
Judge rules New Jersey must allow same-sex marriages
|September 27, 2013|
|Judge Mary Jacobson ruled on September 27, 2013 that the state of New Jersey must allow same-sex marriages, in light of the U.S. Supreme Court's decision to overturn the Defense of Marriage Act in June. That decision marked the start of the federal government's recognition of same-sex marriages, though couples in civil unions no longer get the same federal benefits as married couples. Jacobson's decision marks the first time that a judge has used the SCOTUS decision to strike down a state marriage law.
Judge Jacobson wrote in her decision:
|| The ineligibility of same-sex couples for federal benefits is currently harming same-sex couples in New Jersey in a wide range of contexts.
|| Same-sex couples must be allowed to marry in order to obtain equal protection of the law under the New Jersey Constitution.
- ↑ New Jersey Courts, Mercer Vicinage, Judges Directory
- ↑ New Jersey Judiciary, "Judge Biographies"
- ↑ See Judicial selection in New Jersey
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 RobeProbe, "Mary C. Jacobson"
- ↑ New York Times, "New Jersey Judge Rules State Must Allow Gay Marriage", September 27, 2013
- ↑ Buzzfeed, "New Jersey Judge Rules In Favor Of Marriage Equality", September 27, 2013