|Current Court Information:|
|16th Circuit Court, Michigan|
|Past position:||Private practice lawyer, Assistant Macomb County Prosecuting Attorney|
|Undergraduate:||Wayne State University|
|Law School:||University of Detroit School of Law|
Mary Chrzanowski is a judge for the 16th Circuit Court in Macomb County, Michigan. She was elected to this position in November of 1992 (taking office the following January 1st) and was re-elected in 1998, 2004 and 2010. Her current six-year term ends on January 1, 2017.
Chrzanowski worked as a private practice lawyer from 1987 until becoming a judge. She is also a former Assistant Macomb County Prosecuting Attorney. In January of 1993, she joined the circuit court bench.
- Main article: Michigan judicial elections, 2010
In the news
"Scary Mary" featured on "Dateline"
Judge Chrzanowski was featured on an episode of NBC's "Dateline" on June 8, 2014, along with her nickname--"Scary Mary." The hour-long segment focused on Judge Chrzanowski's work in the drug court program. It followed three addicts through the program for almost a year, documenting their interactions with the judge. The show featured Chrzanowski's no-nonsense, tough-love approach to helping addicts get their lives back on track. The judge also explained that she had once struggled with alcoholism herself, though, at the time of the show, she had been sober for almost ten years.
- Macomb County, "Biography of Hon. Judge Mary Chrzanowski"
- Michigan 2010 Unofficial General Election Results: 16th Circuit incumbents
- List of Michigan Circuit Courts
- The Detroit News, "'Dateline' features Macomb judge known as 'Scary Mary' who tries to steer addicts straight," June 9, 2014 (dead link)