Mary Rudd Robinson
|Mary Rudd Robinson|
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|Broward County Court, Florida|
|Undergraduate:||University of North Carolina|
|Law School:||North Carolina Central University Law School|
- See also: Florida judicial elections, 2010
Election lawsuit filed against opponent
Robinson filed a lawsuit against opponent Jordan H. Jordan for listing his former name, Jordan H. Breslaw, on the 2010 ballot. Robinson's lawsuit alleged that a candidate must run under the name that they use to conduct official and private business, and Breslaw is registered with the Florida Bar, holds chiropractic and driver's licenses, authored a book as Jordan, and also lost a 2006 bid for judicial election all under the name Jordan H. Jordan. Jordan Howard Breslaw is the birth name of Robinson's opponent and he legally changed his name to "Jordan Howard Jordan" in 1991. Robinson filed the suit asking Supervisor of Elections Brenda Snipes to disqualify Jordan because the person, Jordan H. Breslaw listed on the ballot, does not exist.
The lower court in Robinson vs. Breslaw found in favor of Robinson. However, on June 24, 2010, the Florida Fourth District Court of Appeal reversed the lower court decision and ordered that Jordan Howard Breslaw be maintained on the ballot for the August 24, 2010 primary election. Breslaw vs. Robinson, Case No.: 4D10-2521(Fla. 4th DCA 2010).
- Florida Seventeenth Judicial Circuit County Court Judicial Directory
- Florida Courier, "Black voices from the bench," August 19, 2010
- Broward County, Unofficial 2010 Primary Election Results
- Florida Division of Elections: FAQs Scroll to "5. How are judges elected in Florida and what are their terms?"
- Text of Robinson v. Breslaw
- Palm Beach Post News, "Judge says candidate's name change is a no-no," June 19, 2010
- Florida Courier, "Black voices from the bench," August 19, 2010 dead link