Max O. Cogburn, Jr.
|Max O. Cogburn, Jr.|
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|United States District Court for the Western District of North Carolina|
|Appointed by:||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by:||Lacy Thornburg|
|Home State:||Cambridge, MA|
|Undergraduate:||U. of North Carolina, B.A., 1973|
|Law School:||Samford U. Cumberland Law, J.D., 1976|
Max O. Cogburn, Jr. is a federal judge in the United States District Court for the Western District of North Carolina. He joined the court in 2011 after a nomination from President Barack Obama. Prior to his nomination, he was an attorney in North Carolina.
Early life and education
- 2004-2011: Partner, Asheville law firm of Cogburn & Brazil, P.A.
- 1995-2004: United States federal magistrate judge for the Western District of North Carolina
- 1992-1995: Attorney, private practice
- 1980-1992: Assistant United States Attorney for the Western District of North Carolina
- 1976-1980: Attorney, private practice
- Chief Assistant United States Attorney and as Lead Attorney for the Organized Crime and Drug Enforcement Task Force at various times 
Western District of North Carolina
|Candidate:||Max O. Cogburn, Jr.|
|Court:||Western District of North Carolina|
|Progress:||Confirmed 287 days after nomination.|
|Nominated:||May 27, 2010|
|ABA Rating:||Majority Well Qualified, Minority Qualified|
|Hearing:||November 17, 2010|
|Hearing Transcript:||Hearing Transcript|
|Reported:||February 3, 2011 (December 8, 2010)|
|Confirmed:||March 10, 2011|
On May 27, 2010, President Obama nominated Cogburn to the United States District Court for the Western District of North Carolina to replace Lacy Thornburg. 
Cogburn received a majority rating from the American Bar Association of "Well Qualified" and a minority rating of "Qualified". He had a hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee on November 17, 2010 and you can find his Hearing transcript here.  He was moved out of committee on a voice vote on December 8, 2010. 
Cogburn's nomination was returned to the President at the end of the 111th Congress. President Obama resubmitted the nomination on January 5, 2011. Cogburn's nomination was confirmed by the Senate on March 10, 2011 by a vote of 96-0.
- White House Press Release "President Obama Names Two to United States District Court", 5/27/10
- Judge Max Cogburn Biography from Federal Judicial Center.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Official FJC Bio for Judge Cogburn
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 White House Press Release "President Obama Names Two to United States District Court", 5/27/10
- ↑ Judge Max Cogburn Biography from Federal Judicial Center
- ↑ White House Press Release "Presidential Nominations Sent to the Senate", 5/27/10
- ↑ Judicial Nomination Materials
- ↑ Results of Executive Business Meeting - December 8, 2010
- ↑ 112th Congress Confirmations
|Federal judicial offices|
|Western District of North Carolina
|Magistrate judges||David Kessler • Dennis Howell • David Cayer •|
|Former Article III judges||
Robert Paine Dick • James Edmund Boyd • Hamilton Glover Ewart • Lacy Thornburg • Edwin Yates Webb • James Craven • David Henderson • Woodrow Jones • Harold Brent McKnight • James McMillan • Wilson Warlick • Robert Potter •
|Former Chief judges|