Michael Joseph Reagan
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|United States District Court for the Southern District of Illinois|
|Appointed by:||Bill Clinton|
|Active:||10/13/2000 - Present|
|Preceded by:||Paul Riley|
|Home State:||Albuquerque, NM|
|Undergraduate:||Bradley U., B.S., 1976|
|Law School:||St. Louis U., J.D., 1980|
Michael Joseph Reagan is an Article III federal judge for the United States District Court for the Southern District of Illinois. He joined the court in 2000 after being nominated by President Bill Clinton.
Early life and education
- Law clerk, Office of the Appellate Defender, Fifth Appellate District, IL, 1978
- Private practice, 1979-2000
- Instructor in business law, Belleville Area College, 1980-1983
- Adjunct assistant professor of law, St. Louis University, 1982-1988
- Assistant public defender, St. Clair County, IL, 1996-2000 
Southern District of Illinois
On the recommendation of Senator Dick Durbin, Reagan was nominated by President Bill Clinton on May 11, 2000 to a seat vacated by Paul Riley. Reagan was confirmed by the Senate on October 3, 2000, on a senate vote and received commission on October 13, 2000.
Coal co. sues Mine Safety administration (2010)
*The American Coal Company, v. Mine Safety and Health Administration, et al. 3:2008-cv-00814
On February 22, 2010, Judge Reagan dismissed a case filed by the American Coal Company against the Mine Safety and Health Administration, a division of the U.S. Department of Labor.
The company sued the MHSA over claims of abusive oversight that included citations that were issued by the MHSA on a quota system.American Coal filed an amended lawsuit in March of 2010. In February of 2011, claims against several former MSHA were dismissed because they had been succeeded in office, and their replacements were brought into the suit as substitutes.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Judge Reagan's Biography from the Federal Judicial Center
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Associated Press, "Judge rejects coal company's Ill. lawsuit vs. MHSA," February 23, 2010
- ↑ Law360.com, Safety Citations Knowingly Unfounded: American Coal, March 05, 2010
- ↑ Judge Reagan's Order on Plaintiff's "Agreed MOtion to Dismiss Claims Against Former MSHA Officers Richard E. Stickler and Robert Phillips"
|Federal judicial offices|
|Southern District of Illinois
|Magistrate judges||Philip Frazier • Clifford Proud • Donald Wilkerson •|
|Former Article III judges||
Patrick G. Murphy • William Juergens • William Beatty • Robert Morgan • Samuel Hubbel Treat • William Joshua Allen • J. Otis Humphrey • Louis FitzHenry • Charles Guy Briggle • James Earl Major • Jackson Adair • James Ackerman • Frederick Mercer • Omer Poos • Paul Riley • Harlington Wood •
|Former Chief judges|