The Pennsylvania judicial elections consisted of a primary on May 21st and a general election on November 5th.
This page includes candidates for the Supreme, Superior and Municipal courts. If you are looking for Courts of Common Pleas or Magisterial District candidates, please see one of the following pages:
- Pennsylvania judicial elections, 2013 - Courts of Common Pleas
- Pennsylvania judicial elections, 2013 - Magisterial Districts
- March 12th, Last day to circulate and file nomination petitions (primary election).
- August 1st, Last day to circulate and file nomination papers (general election).
|Statistics from Pennsylvania's 2013 judicial elections
|Total candidates (general election):
|% of unopposed candidates
who were incumbents:
|Total candidates elected/re-elected:
|New judges elected:
|| Pennsylvania, one of the more competitive states for judicial elections this year, elected 57 new judges in November. Still, there were few upsets. Approximately 26% of the total general election candidates were unopposed going into the general election and each of the 68 judges seeking retention got another term.
Many eyes were on the retention elections of Supreme Court Justices Ronald Castille and Max Baer, as well as that of Superior Court judges Susan Peikes Gantman and Jack Panella. All of these judges and justices were retained. Castille received the lowest percentage of votes in favor of retention, at 68.%, but that was still well beyond the 51% required for him to gain another term.
In only contested Superior Court race, Republican Vic Stabile emerged victorious, though the race was quite close. Stabile received 51.6% of the vote, while his opponent, Judge Jack McVay, Jr. of the Allegheny County Court of Common Pleas, received the other 48.4%.
Philadelphia Municipal Court
Three seats are up for election. Since no Republican candidates filed, the winners of the Democratic primary, shown below, will be unopposed in the general election.
, candidates competing for 3 open seatsRetention
Court of Common Pleas
- For Court of Common Pleas judicial elections, please visit: Pennsylvania judicial elections, 2013 - Courts of Common Pleas
- For Magisterial District judicial elections, please visit: Pennsylvania judicial elections, 2013 - Magisterial Districts
- The Associated Press, "Voter ID law won't be enforced during Pennsylvania's primary election," February 15, 2013
- PA lawmaker says dump corrupt judicial elections, "PA lawmaker says dump corrupt judicial elections," January 23, 2013
- PA Transparency Project - Blog, "Unofficial Judicial Election List for 2013 Elections," December 12, 2012
- Centre Daily Times, "Longtime district judge to hang up robe," April 30, 2012
- Penn Live, Tuesday's statewide judicial races are a reminder that Pa. has to change the way it picks judges: John L. Micek," November 5, 2013