Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit|
|Appointed by:||George H.W. Bush|
|Preceded by:||Jean Bissell|
|Past post:||Judge, United States Court of Claims|
|Undergraduate:||Brigham Young University, 1974|
|Law School:||George Washington University Law, 1978|
Randall Ray Rader is a former federal judge on the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. He joined the court in 1990 after being nominated by President George H.W. Bush.
Rader stepped down as chief judge of the Federal Circuit on May 30, 2014. Chief Justice Rader's decision to step down followed his recusal from patent cases, after Rader sent an email to a patent lawyer who practices in the Federal Circuit. Many in the legal profession questioned Rader's impartiality after the commendatory email became public. Judge Rader retired on June 30, 2014 as a result of the questioned impartiality.
- 1988-1990: Judge, United States Court of Claims
- 1987-1988: Chief counsel and minority staff director, Subcommittee on Patents, Trademarks and Copyrights, U.S. Senate Committee on the Judiciary
- 1981-1988: Counsel, U.S. Sen.Orrin Hatch, Utah
- 1981-1986: Chief counsel, Subcommittee on the Constitution, U.S. Senate Committee on the Judiciary
- 1978-1981: Counsel, U.S. Rep. Philip Crane, Illinois
- 1978-1981: Legislative director, United States House of Representatives Committee on Ways and Means
- 1975-1978: Legislative assistant, U.S. Rep. Virginia Smith, Nebraska
Rader was nominated by President George H.W. Bush on June 12, 1990 to a seat vacated by Jean Bissell as Bissell died in active judicial service. Rader was confirmed by the U.S. Senate on August 3, 1990 on unanimous consent of the Senate and received commission on August 9, 1990. He served on the Federal Circuit until his retirement on June 30, 2014.
- Judge Rader's Biography from the Federal Judicial Center
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, Announcements: "Chief Judge Randall R. Rader to Step Down as Chief Judge on May 30, 2014"
- The Wall Street Journal, "Top Judge Who Gave Praise Recuses Himself from Patent Cases," May 22, 2014
- Courthouse News Service, "Early Retirement for Embattled Federal Judge," June 17, 2014
- THOMAS, "Nomination of Randall Rader" Search for Randall Rader
|Federal judicial offices|
Paul Michel • Randall Rader • Arthur Gajarsa • Daniel Friedman • Glenn Archer • James Almond • Jean Bissell • Phillip Baldwin • Marion Bennett • Arnold Cowen • Oscar Davis • Shiro Kashiwa • Don Laramore • Howard Markey • Jack Miller • Philip Nichols • Helen Nies • Giles Rich • Byron Skelton • Edward Smith • Edward Samuel Smith •
|Former Chief judges|