Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|United States District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia|
|Appointed by:||Bill Clinton|
|Active:||09/18/1997 - Present|
|Preceded by:||Elizabeth Hallanan|
|Home State:||Williamson, WV|
|Undergraduate:||Marshall U., A.B., 1974|
|Law School:||West Virginia U. Law, J.D., 1977|
Robert Chambers is an Article III federal judge for the United States District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia. He joined the court in 1997 after being nominated by President Bill Clinton.
Early life and education
Born in Williamson, West Virginia, Chambers graduated from Marshall University in Huntington, West Virginia with his bachelor's degree in 1974 and graduated from the West Virginia University College of Law with his J.D. in 1977.
Chambers was a private practice attorney in the State of West Virginia from 1977 to 1997. Chambers served as Legal counsel for the West Virginia State Senate in 1978 and was an elected Delegate for the West Virginia House of Delegates (House of Representatives) as a Democrat constituent from 1978 to 1996.
Southern District of West Virginia
Chambers was nominated to the United States District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia by President Bill Clinton on on June 5, 1997, to a seat vacated by Elizabeth Hallanan. Chambers was confirmed by the U.S. Senate on September 5, 1997 on a Senate voice vote and received commission on September 18, 1997.
Mining and environmentalism in West Virginia (2012)
*Ohio Valley Environmental Coalition, et al., v. United States Army Corps of Engineers, et al. 3:05-cv-00784
Judge Chambers presided over a case involving a mine owned by Consol Energy. The case pertained to the company's ability to stay in operation in the State of West Virginia. West Virginia Governor Joe Manchin petitioned the judge to keep the plant after a previous ruling in favor of the Ohio Valley Environmental Coalition, who sued the mining company over how their permit was obtained. On August 10, 2012, Judge Chambers granted the ability of the Army Corps of Engineers to issue the permit to Consol Energy. After the re-institution of the permit the challenge was brought back before Judge Chambers where the Ohio Valley Environmental Coalition attempted to proved to him that irreparable harm would be caused. Judge Chambers denied the claim but issued a stay against the mining so that Ohio Valley Environmental Coalition could have time to appeal the ruling.
- United States District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia
- News: Mine permit arguments heard by West Virginia judge, May 13, 2012
- Judge Robert Chambers Federal Judicial Center Biography
- List of judges of the Southern District of West Virginia
- The West Virginia Encyclopedia - Robert C. Chambers
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Judge Robert Chambers Federal Judicial Center Biography
- ↑ West Virginia Metro News, "Governor calls for a stay in Fola case," December 21, 2009
- ↑ United States Distrcit Court for the Southern District of West Virginia, "Ohio Valley Environmental Coalition, et al., v. United States Army Corps of Engineers, et al.," August 8, 2012
- ↑ 'United States Distrcit Court for the Southern District of West Virginia, "Ohio Valley Environmental Coalition, et al., v. United States Army Corps of Engineers, et al.," September 13, 2012
|Federal judicial offices|
|Southern District of West Virginia
|Magistrate judges||Clarke VanDervort • Cheryl Eifert • Dwane Tinsley •|
|Former Article III judges||
Benjamin Franklin Keller • George Warwick McClintic • Harry Watkins • Sidney Christie • Charles Haden II • William Kidd • John Field • Kenneth Hall • Elizabeth Hallanan • Dennis Knapp • Ben Moore • Robert Staker •
|Former Chief judges|