Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|3rd Circuit Court, Michigan|
|Past position:||Attorney, Riley & Roumell|
|Undergraduate:||University of Miami, 1972|
|Law School:||Detroit College of Law, 1975|
|Candidate for:||3rd Circuit Court|
|Election information 2012:|
Robert J. Colombo, Jr. is the chief judge of the 3rd Circuit Court in Wayne County, Michigan. He was elected to the bench in 1982 and took office the following January, replacing Virgil Smith as the chief judge in 2014. His current term expires on January 1, 2019.
He is described by some as being "blunt, but fair."
Following his graduation from law school in 1975, Colombo began his career as a law clerk for Judge George Bashara, Jr. of the Michigan Court of Appeals. He then joined the law firm of Riley & Roumell in 1977, practicing civil, criminal and domestic relations trial and appellate law there until he was elected to the Circuit Court 1982.
- See also: Michigan judicial elections, 2012
Bar association ratings
The Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association rated candidates running for judicial office in 2012. Candidates were given one of five ratings: Outstanding, Well Qualified, Qualified, Not Qualified or No Rating.
Colombo was rated as Outstanding.
In June of 2008, Judge Colombo refused Kilpatrick's request to delay the Freedom of Information Act lawsuit against him, saying he would allow Kilpatrick "to intervene to protect his rights but not to postpone proceedings."
Judge Colombo later blocked further efforts from Kilpatrick's legal team to discover who leaked the scandalous text messages by ruling that the source of the leak was "not relevant to this case."
- Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association, "Message from the President," January 2014
- Detroit Metro Bar Association, "Robert Colombo" (dead link) (Broken)
- Michigan Department of State, " 2006 Official Michigan General Election Results: 3rd Circuit Court Incumbents," May 10, 2007
- Detroit Free Press, "Colombo described as blunt but fair, decisive," February 6, 2008
- Michigan Department of State, "Official 2012 General Election Results: 3rd Circuit Court," January 4, 2013
- Michigan Department of State, "2012 Unofficial Michigan Primary Candidate Listing," July 31, 2012
- Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association, "Judicial Candidate Evaluation Committee," accessed July 7, 2014
- Detroit Free Press, "Kilpatrick will appeal judge's order to release documents," February 5, 2008
- Associated Press, "Judge refuses Detroit mayor's request to delay FOIA case," June 6, 2008
- Detroit Free Press, "Reporters don't have to name texts source," July 17, 2008