|John Robin Free|
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|18th Judicial District, Louisiana|
|Law School:||Southern University Law Center, 1989|
|Candidate for:||18th District Court|
|Election information 2014:|
John Robin Free is a judge of the 18th Judicial District, Division B in West Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana. He was elected to this position on September 21, 1996. He was re-elected in 2014 for a term beginning on January 1, 2015, and expiring on December 31, 2020.
- See also: Louisiana judicial elections, 2014
| Free ran for re-election to the 18th Judicial District.
As an unopposed candidate, he was automatically elected without appearing on the ballot.
In the news
Proposed sanctions levied against Free
In October 2014, after an investigation into Free's alleged improprieties, the Office of Special Counsel proposed that Free be suspended without pay for one year. The Louisiana Judiciary Commission recommended a suspension of 30 days without pay and a fine of $7,000. The most grievous of commission findings include allegations that Free accepted an all-expense paid trip by an attorney whose client had just won a million dollar settlement in Free's courtroom and that Free had failed to recuse himself from a class-action suit where his mother had a potential financial interest. Free, who has been in office since 1997, was admonished by the commission, which stated: “Judge Free’s actions have harmed the integrity of and respect for the judiciary... [he] should have been more familiar with his ethical obligations.”
On December 9, 2014, the Louisiana Supreme Court ordered Free suspended for 30 days without pay and ordered him to pay $6,723.64 in reimbursement to the Louisiana Judiciary Commission. Free was found in violation of canons 1, 2, 2A, 3A(4), 3A(6), and 6B(2) of the Louisiana Code of Judicial Conduct and Article V, § 25(C) of the Louisiana Constitution for accepting an all-expense paid trip from an attorney, who had won a million dollar settlement in his courtroom.
- Office of the District Attorney of the 18th Judicial District, "18th Judicial District Judges," accessed November 25, 2014
- Louisiana Secretary of State, "Official Election Results 9/21/1996," accessed November 25, 2014
- Louisiana Secretary of State, "Elected Officials," accessed November 25, 2014 (Scroll down to "District Judge…")
- Judgepedia.org, “Judicial selection in Louisiana,” accessed December 8, 2014
- Louisiana Secretary of State, "November 4, 2014 General Election Candidates," accessed August 25, 2014
- Southern University Law Center: E-News, "2011 Alumni Round-Up Honorees Express Their Appreciation to SULC," April 2011
- The Advocate, "District judge faces sanctions for trip, other alleged improprieties," November 4, 2014
- The Advocate, "Judiciary commission recommends 30-day suspension of West Baton Rouge judge for all-expenses paid hunting trip," accessed November 25, 2014
- Supreme Court of Louisiana, "In re: Judge J. Robin Free," December 9, 2014
- ABA Journal, "Judge is suspended for 30 days over trip to lawyer's hunting ranch after $1.2M case was settled," December 10, 2014