|Rosemarie Elizabeth Aquilina|
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|30th Circuit Court, Michigan|
|Past position:||Judge, Michigan 55th District Court|
|Undergraduate:||Michigan State University|
|Law School:||Thomas M. Cooley Law School|
|Candidate for:||30th Circuit Court|
|Election information 2014:|
Rosemarie Elizabeth Aquilina is a judge for the 30th Circuit Court in Ingham County, Michigan. She was elected to the court on November 4, 2008, and assumed office on January 1, 2009. Aquilina was re-elected to the court on November 4, 2014, for another six-year term commencing on January 1, 2015, and expiring on December 31, 2020.
- See also: Michigan judicial elections, 2014
| Aquilina ran for re-election to the 30th Circuit Court.
General: She was unopposed in the general election on November 4, 2014.
Aquilina worked as an attorney for sixteen years prior to her judicial career, specializing in divorce and custody, family, and probate law. She was elected to the 55th District Court in November 2004. Aquilina served there as chief judge until her election to the 30th Circuit Court in 2008.
Judge rules Detroit's bankruptcy attempt is illegal
Aquilina ruled on July 19, 2013, that Detroit's petition for bankruptcy was illegal because of its potential impact on pension funds. The judge, at the request of city workers, attempted to place a temporary restraining order to stop the bankruptcy filing on the 18th. However, minutes before she was able to do so, Governor Rick Snyder filed for Chapter 9 bankruptcy in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of Michigan, and the case went under federal jurisdiction. Aquilina, herself, believed that the case belonged in state court and argued that "these are state issues. We're dealing with the state constitution and an emergency manager who is a product of the state legislation...there's been a violation of constitution. I don't believe the constitution should be made of swiss cheese."
- Michigan Secretary of State, "2008 Election Results: 30th Circuit Court," accessed December 18, 2014
- Michigan Secretary of State, "2008 Official Michigan General Candidate Listing," accessed December 18, 2014
- Michigan Secretary of State, "2014 Official Michigan Primary Candidate Listing," accessed July 9, 2014
- Martindale.com, "Rosemarie E. Aquilina," accessed July 17, 2014
- Institute of Continuing Legal Education: Contributors, "Hon. Rosemarie Aquilina," accessed December 18, 2014
- Michigan.gov: Former Governors, "Governor Granholm Announces Judicial Appointments," December 23, 2008
- Bloomberg, "Michigan Judge Says Detroit Bankruptcy Should Be Dropped," July 19, 2013
- ABC News - Associated Press, "Mich. Judge: Detroit Bankruptcy Move Is Illegal," July 20, 2013
- USA Today.com, "State judge slows down process after ruling Friday that the bankruptcy is unconstitutional," July 22, 2013