Sarah M. Singleton
|Sarah M. Singleton|
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|New Mexico First Judicial District Court|
|Undergraduate:||Sarah Lawrence College, 1971|
|Law School:||Indiana University School of Law, 1974|
Singleton worked in the Appellate Division of the New Mexico Public Defender Department from 1974 to 1975 and in 1976 she was the Acting Appellate Defender. From 1976 to 1981 she was a Founding Partner of Pickard & Singleton. She worked in the Singleton Law Offices from 1981 until 1985. Singleton was with Montgomery & Andrews as a P.A. from 1985 to 2010.
Awards and associations
- State Bar of New Mexico
- State Bar of Texas
- Admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the District of New Mexico
- Admitted to practice before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- Admitted to practice before the U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- Admitted to practice before the Supreme Court of the United States
In 2010 Singleton ran for election to the seat she was appointed to in 2009. She defeated Peter V. Culbert in the Democratic primary, winning 78.1% of the vote and ran unopposed in the general election receiving 100% of the vote.
- See also: New Mexico judicial elections, 2010
Singleton was endorsed by the Rio Grande Sun.
Same-sex marriage licenses to be issued in Santa Fe County
Statewide license investigation
- News: Judge sides with New Mexico Land Commissioner in land swap dispute, January 15, 2012
- Judges of the 1st Judicial District Court
- Santa Fe Reporter "Meet The New District Judge: Sarah M Singleton" 12.07.2009
- Rio Grande Sun "Court Picks For June Primary," May 20, 2010
- Sarah M. Singleton Campaign website (Education)
- Sarah M. Singleton Campaign website (Employment)
- New Mexico Secretary of State, Unofficial Statewide Results
- The Washington Post, "Second New Mexico county clerk’s office starts issuing same-sex marriage licenses," August 22, 2013
- Huffington Post, "New Mexico Gay Marriage: Santa Fe County Begins Granting Licenses," August 23, 2013
- The Wall Street Journal - Law Blog, "Photographers Discriminated Against Gay Couple, Court Rules," August 22, 2013
- The Washington Times, "ACLU ‘stunned’ as N.M. judge rules gay marriage legal, despite law," August 27, 2013
- NewsOK - Associated Press, "Court To Allow NM Check On Returned License Notices," September 13, 2011
- Sante Fe New Mexican, "Looking in: Governor breaks law with recertification," September 12, 2011