Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|6th Circuit Court, Michigan|
|Appointed by:||Gov. Jennifer Granholm|
|Preceded by:||Gene Schnelz|
|Past post:||Associate Attorney, Weiner & Cox P.L.C.|
|Undergraduate:||University of Michigan|
|Law School:||University of Detroit-Mercy School of Law|
Shalina Kumar is a judge for the 6th Circuit Court in Oakland County, Michigan. She was appointed to this position on August 20, 2007 by former Governor Jennifer Granholm to replace retired judge, Gene Schnelz. She was re-elected in 2008 to another six-year term that ends on January 1, 2015.
Kumar served on the Sylvan Lake City Council in 1992 and 1993, during law school. She was admitted to the Michigan Bar in 1996 and began a private law practice in 1997, specializing in medical malpractice, wrongful death, and complex litigation trials until her judicial appointment in 2007. She worked as an associate attorney for the law firms of Sommers, Schwartz, Silver & Schwartz P.C. (2000 to 2004) and Weiner & Cox P.L.C. (2004 to 2007). She was appointed to the Circuit Court in August of 2007.
Kumar sentences two men to life in prison
Kumar's decision reversed on legislative recall
- Michigan Trial Courts Directory: Oakland County
- Detroit Free Press, "2 Oakland County judges took days off for conference, but didn't go," October 16, 2013
- Michigan.gov: Former Governors, "Granholm Appoints Shalina Kumar Judge of 6th Circuit Court," August 20, 2007
- Michigan 2008 Election Results: 6th Circuit
- List of Michigan Circuit Courts
- Oakland County: Hon. Shalina Kumar
- M Live.com, "Tucker Cipriano, Mitchell Young to spend life in prison for Farmington Hills baseball bat attack," July 25, 2013
- Detroit Free Press, "Tucker Cipriano gets emotional; Mitchell Young makes defiant speech at sentencing," July 24, 2013
- Crain's Detroit Business, "Recall drive wins round in court," May 19, 2008