Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|Nebraska District 3|
|Appointed by:||Gov. Dave Heineman|
|Past post:||Attorney in private practice|
|Law School:||Education University of Nebraska College of Law, 1991|
|Grad. School:||University of Nebraska-Omaha, 1988|
Stephanie F. Stacy is a judge for the Third District Court in Lancaster County, Nebraska. She was appointed to this position by Governor Dave Heineman inn October of 2011. She must face retention in 2014.
Judge Stacy attended the University of Nebraska-Omaha in 1988 to earn a Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice. In 1991 she attended the Education University of Nebraska College of Law to earn her Juris Doctor.
- Partner of Baylor, Evnen, Curtiss, Grimit & Witt LLP at the time of judicial appointment
Keystone pipeline approval case
Judge Stacy ruled on February 19, 2014 that the governor does not have the power to approve the passage of the controversial Keystone XL pipeline through the state of Nebraska.
The pipeline, which would move oil from Canada to Texas, was described by the judge as "a political lightning rod." However, she said that the issue before her had nothing to do with whether or not the pipeline was a good idea. Instead, her ruling centered around who had the power to approve or disapprove the pipeline's passage through the state. She explained that, since the Public Service Commission (PSC) was tasked with such responsibilities, the governor could not make the call.
In 2012, the Legislature changed a law to allow Governor Dave Heineman, rather than the PSC, to approve the pipeline. The governor gave his approval in January of 2013. Landowners brought the lawsuit against the state, saying that the law violated the state constitution. Stacy rejected most of their claims, but agreed on one key point. The ruling stated,
|“||It is clear the Legislature cannot…divest the PSC of jurisdiction over a class of common carriers and vest such power in another governmental agency.||”|
- List of Nebraska District Court judges
- Journal Star, "Governor names 2 new district judges for Lancaster County," October 4, 2011
- Nebraska Judicial Profile 2011 - Stephanie Stacy
- Fox News, "Judge strikes down Nebraska law that allowed Keystone pipeline to proceed through state," February 19, 2014
- Los Angeles Times, "Nebraska judge's ruling threatens Keystone pipeline," February 19, 2014
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.