Terry P. Lewis
|Terry P. Lewis|
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|Florida Second Circuit Court|
|Active:||1998 - 1/2019|
|Past position:||Leon County Court Judge|
|Past term:||1989 - 1998|
|Law School:||Florida State University|
|Candidate for:||Second Circuit Court|
|Election information 2012:|
|Primary date:||August 14, 2012|
- See also: Florida judicial elections, 2012
In the news
Judge Lewis tosses congressional map, blasts lawmakers for unfair practices (2014)
Judge Lewis, on July 10, 2014, criticized state lawmakers for making a "mockery" of redistricting processes while ruling Florida's new congressional district maps unconstitutional. The judge, in reviewing the legitimacy of the maps that were drawn up by the Republican-controlled state legislature in 2012, pointed to the Fair Districts constitutional amendments. Those amendments were passed in 2010 as a way to limit partisan influences and gerrymandering in district maps.
Though the judge did not say whether new lines would have to be drawn for the 2014 elections--starting with the August 26 primary--he did have harsh words for the Legislature:
|“||Republican political consultants or operatives did in fact conspire to manipulate and influence the redistricting process...They made a mockery of the Legislature’s proclaimed transparency and open process of redistricting by doing all of this in the shadow of that process, utilizing the access it gave them to the decision makers, but going to great lengths to conceal from the public their plan and their participation in it.||”|
—Judge Terry P. Lewis
The case dealt with two districts in particular--the 10th District, which includes parts of Lake, Orange and Polk counties in the central part of the state, and the 5th District, which a number of northeastern counties between the cities of Jacksonville to Orlando.
On August 1, 2014, Judge Lewis ordered the legislature to redraw the boundaries of the two congressional districts by August 15.
- 2nd Judicial Circuit, "Judges," accessed May 12, 2014.
- Miami Herald, "Judge tosses Amendment 7 off Florida ballot," December 14, 2011
- 2nd Judicial Circuit: Terry P. Lewis
- Florida Division of Elections: Terry P. Lewis, 2006
- Florida Department of State, Candidate Listing 2012
- Florida Division of Elections: Terry P. Lewis
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Politico, "Judge tosses Florida congressional map," July 10, 2014
- The Ledger, "Judge Invalidates Florida's Congressional Districts," July 11, 2014
- Miami Herald, "Fla. judge orders new congressional map," August 1, 2014