Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|United States District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky|
|Appointed by:||George W. Bush|
|Active:||1/4/2008 - Present|
|Preceded by:||Joseph Hood|
|Undergraduate:||Boston College, B.S., 1991|
|Law School:||Boalt Hall School of Law, U. of California, Berkeley, J.D., 1994|
Amul Roger Thapar is an Article III federal judge for the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky. He joined the court in 2008 after being nominated by President George W. Bush. Thapar was the first Indian American judge named to the federal judiciary.
Early life and education
Born in Detroit, Michigan, Thapar graduated from Boston College with his bachelor's degree in 1991 and received his Juris Doctor from Boalt Hall School of Law at the University of California-Berkeley in 1994.
- 2006-2008: United States Attorney, Eastern District of Kentucky
- 2002-2006: Assistant U.S. Attorney, Southern District of Ohio
- 2001-2002: Attorney, private practice
- 2000-2001: General Counsel, Equal Footing Foundation
- 1999-2000: Trial Advocacy Instructor, Georgetown University Law Center
- 1997-1999: Attorney, private practice
- 1996-1997: Law clerk, Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
- 1994-1996: Law clerk, Southern District of Ohio
- 2002-2006: Adjunct Professor, University of Cincinnati College of Law
- 1995-1997: Adjunct Professor, University of Cincinnati College of Law
Eastern District of Kentucky
On the recommendation of Senators Mitch McConnell and Jim Bunning, Thapar was nominated to the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky by President George W. Bush on May 24, 2007, to a seat vacated by Joseph Hood as Hood assumed senior status. Thapar was confirmed by the U.S. Senate on December 13, 2007 and received commission on January 4, 2008.
- Judge Amul Thapar FJC Bio
- Judge Amul Thapar USDC, EDKY Bio
- Judge Amul Thapar's Biography from the Federal Judicial Center
|Federal judicial offices|
|Eastern District of Kentucky
Gregory Wehrman • Edward Atkins • Robert Wier • Candace Smith • Hanly Ingram •
|Former Article III judges|
|Former Chief judges|