Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia|
|Appointed by:||Barack Obama|
|Active:||2/28/2011 - Present|
|Preceded by:||Jack Camp|
|Hometown:||New York, NY|
|Law School:||Harvard Law '77|
Amy Totenberg is a judge on the United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia. She was nominated by President Barack Obama in 2011. Prior to joining the court, Totenberg was an attorney based in Atlanta, Georgia.
Early life and education
- 2000-2012: Attorney, private practice
- 2012: Special master in the United States District Court for the District of Maryland
- 2012: Court monitor in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia
- 1994-1998: In-house general counsel for the Atlanta school system
- 1988-1993: Part-time Municipal Court Judge for the City of Atlanta
Northern District of Georgia
|Court:||Northern District of Georgia|
|Progress:||Confirmed 348 days after nomination.|
|ABA Rating:||Well Qualified|
On March 17, 2010, Amy Totenberg was nominated for a federal seat on the United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia by President Obama. Obama called her a "distinguished candidate" and said that she has "displayed an exceptional commitment to public service and... will be [a] thoughtful and esteemed addition to the federal bench". She was nominated to fill the seat vacated by Jack Camp.
She was rated unanimously "Well Qualified" by the American Bar Association. Totenberg's hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee was on September 15, 2010 and you can find her hearing transcript here. She was moved out of committee with a voice vote on December 1, 2010.
Totenberg's nomination was returned to the President at the end of the 111th Congress. President Obama resubmitted the nomination on January 5, 2011. Totenberg was confirmed to his position by the U.S. Senate on February 28, 2011, by a voice vote.
- Judge Totenberg's Bio from the Federal Judicial Center
- White House Press Release "President Obama Nominates Judge Leonard Stark and Amy Totenberg to the United States District Court," March 17, 2010
- The Atlanta Journal-Constitution "Amy Totenberg nominated to be federal judge," March 17, 2010
- White House Press Release "Presidential Nominations Sent to the Senate," 3/17/2010
- Senate Judiciary Committee Hearing, September 15, 2010
- Results of Executive Business Meeting, December 1, 2010
- Judicial Nomination Materials (dead link)
- 212th Congress confirmation materials
|Federal judicial offices|
|Northern District of Georgia
|Vacancy Count by Congress|
|Vacancy Count by Year||Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2009 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2010 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2011 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2012|