Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|Illinois Third Judicial Circuit Court|
|Past position:||Associate Judge, Third Circuit|
|Undergraduate:||St. Louis University|
|Law School:||St. Louis University School of Law|
|Candidate for:||Third Circuit Court|
|Election information 2012:|
|Election date:||November 6, 2012|
|Retention vote %:||68.6%|
Ann Callis was a chief judge for the Third Circuit of Illinois. She is a resident circuit judge and served in Edwardsville. She was appointed to this position in 2001 after having served as an Associate Judge since 1995. She became chief judge in 2006 and was retained in 2012, but announced her resignation from the court on May 3, 2013.
She is the daughter of influential attorney and Democratic Party activist Lance Callis.
The New York Times reported that “According to statements of economic interest filed with the state supreme court through 2012, Callis reported owning properties in Troy, St. Louis, Breckenridge, Colo. and Scottsdale, Ariz. The combined value of all four is approximately $1.9 million.” According to The Pantagraph, Callis "has a history of failing to pay her property taxes on time." In a New York Times article, titled "How Not to Seem Rich While Running for Office," Callis was noted for borrowing tales of financial hardship from her parents and grandparents since she had not experienced such hardship herself.
Callis is a former prosecutor for the State's Attorney's office of Madison and St. Clair counties. In 1995, she was appointed an Associate Judge of the Third Circuit Court. She was promoted to Circuit Judge in 2001.
The day that Callis announced her candidacy, potential primary challenger David Gill was given an appointment to the Illinois Department of Public Health by Democratic Governor Pat Quinn.
Callis was a member of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee's Jumpstart program, which was designed to provide early support to top-tier Democratic challengers. Her campaign has been supported by Nancy Pelosi, who has appeared at campaign rallies on Callis' behalf.>ref>Sun Times, "Pelosi hits Chicago to rally women for Callis, Schneider," June 3, 2014</ref>
Callis' campaign website listed the following issues:
—Ann Callis' campaign websitehttp://www.callisforillinois.com/issues
- See also: Illinois judicial elections, 2012
- Illinois Circuit Courts
- Madison County, Illinois
- Ann Callis for Illinois' 13th congressional district election in 2014
- Judge Ann Callis campaign website
- Illinois Courts: Third Judicial Circuit
- The Madison/St. Clair Record, "Callis elected to fourth term as chief judge," April 26, 2012
- Belleville News Democrat, "A terrible blunder: Madison County judge dropped from asbestos hearings after receiving asbestos money," December 14, 2011
- Illinois Courts: Judges of the Third Judicial Circuit
- Judge Ann Callis campaign website: Biography
- BND.com, "Chief Judge Callis resigns; Gill declines to run in 13th District again," May 3, 2013
- The State Journal-Register, "Bernard Schoenburg: Democrat Callis moving into role as candidate," May 12, 2013
- "St Louis Post Dispatch," "New Judge Has Name Influential in Politics," accessed August 3, 2014
- "New York Times", "How Not to Seem Rich While Running for Office" April 8, 2014
- "The Pantagraph","Records: Congressional candidate was late on property taxes" November 14, 2013
- News Gazette, "Callis announces run for 13th District," May 7, 2013
- Roll Call;, "Democrats Launch New Program for House Recruits," May 9, 2013
- Campaign website, "Issues," accessed September 15, 2014
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Federal Election Commission, "Ann Callis 2014 Summary reports," accessed November 6, 2013
- Illinois Board of Elections: November 6, 2012 Official Vote Scroll to p.164
- Madison County Board of Elections: Sample Ballot 2012