Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|Pike County Justice Court, Mississippi|
Aubrey Rimes is a judge of the Pike County Justice Court, Southern District, in Mississippi. He was first elected to this position, without opposition, in 2003. He was most recently re-elected in 2011 to a term that expires in 2015.
Sikh man's headdress stirs controversy in court
Jagjeet Singh, a practicing Sikh and truck driver, was pulled over for a flat tire in January of 2013. Singh was carrying a kirpan, a dagger that all Sikhs carry as part of their religion, which police officers asked him to hand over. When Singh protested and tried to explain the religious significance of the blade, the officers laughed at and mocked him, according to a complaint filed by the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU). Singh was then arrested because he refused to give the officers the kirpan.
When Singh appeared in court for the incident in March, Judge Aubrey Rimes ordered him to remove his turban. According to the Sikh religion, the headdress is supposed to be worn at all times, so Singh refused to comply with the request. Bear Atwood, an attorney for the ACLU, reported that Rimes referred to the turban as "that rag" and made Singh wait several hours until all the other cases had been heard before allowing him to enter the courtroom.In response to the incident, the Pike County Board of Supervisors revised the county's discrimination policy. It is now considered discrimination to require someone to remove their head covering if it is worn for religious purposes.
- Pike County Mississippi: Justice Court
- Pike County Mississippi General Election Results, November 4, 2013
- Pike County Mississippi General Election Results, November 8, 2013
- ACLU' - Blog of Rights, "Judge to Sikh Man: Remove 'That Rag'," September 25, 2013
- New York Daily News, "Sikh truck driver labeled ‘terrorist’ by Mississippi traffic cops before judge calls man’s turban ‘that rag’: ACLU," September 28, 2013
- Huffington Post, "Judge Rimes' Sikh Slur In Mississippi Court, 'Remove That Rag,' Prompts ACLU Letter On Behalf Of Jagjeet Singh," September 27, 2013